Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am attempting my first marathon (I hope) in Dublin in 7 weeks time. I have just had to take a week off running for a bit of calf trouble. I am worried now that it might be two weeks.

I have been training since July and I am 'reasonably' fit apart from that despite carrying a little too much weight.

Would any of you advise going ahead with the run even if I have to take two weeks out? I am hoping this only means missing out on one 'long run' during training and being able to cross train.

Any sage words for a very frustrated first timer?

PS I missed Belfast due to injury last year - a non-running related one too!! My mind is beginning to play tricks. Help:'(

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm not sure I can offer any reasonably sage and proper advice, but I'll wish you luck. I'm doing the Amsterdam Marathon myself in six weeks time - it's my own first marathon. I started training in January, but have had to take varying times off for flu, tonsilitis, two broken toes (this one was due to nothing but football), a swollen ankle (was concerned I'd had a stress fracture), calf and shin problems and now a knee problem. I'm sure the combination and multitude of injuries is not entirely a coincidence (though may be something to do with the fact I've always being a hypochondriac at running) and perhaps because I'm either pushing myself too much or not warming up/down correctly. Anyway, I keep on going, and managed an 18-mile long run today and have managed to tinker my training about and am still just about on target.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Sorry to hear tha KD. look for alternative training like swimming, cycling, rowing to keep the levels of fitness up, I missed a week and a bit when training for my marathon and found the change of pounding the road for a short time whilst keeping up the exercise did me good.

Good luck.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Hi KD.

If you do have to take another week off then cross training to keep fit as previously suggested is vital....as long as you have already got a reasonable marathon base behind you and can still get a couple of 20 milers in pre race you should be ok.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
2 weeks of training shouldn't really be enough to decide whether you do/don't run a marathon. As Steve says, as long as you're able to squeeze in a few long runs you should be fine, at worst, consider revising your finishing goals?

·
Registered
634 Posts
I'd make sure the injury is healed before you start running again. I missed load of training through niggly injuries for my first (and only) marathon - one of my biggest mistakes was to start again before I was ready and then try to catch up for lost time by doing a bit extra - which (surprise, surprise) resulted in more injuries.

In the 7 weeks before the marathon I managed a total of 22 miles running. But, mainly because I'm really stubborn (or really stupid) I managed to finish the marathon - slowly and painfully.

Good luck - I hope all goes well for you.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I think Paula proved you can't cross train for a marathon at elite level!
However, if you just want to get round cross train but make sure that calf is ok if you run!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi all, I am attempting my first marathon (I hope) in Dublin in 7 weeks time. I have just had to take a week off running for a bit of calf trouble. I am worried now that it might be two weeks.
Hi KD,
Just agreeing with the other guys earlier...if you have done a good amount of training already and can get those 20 mile runs in (BOTH AT LEAST 2 WEEKS BEFORE THE MARATHON!) you should be ok. I would try not to run any serious mileage at present if you have a niggling muscle injury, maybe some swimming or cycling? If you try to run a marathon with an injury, chances are the pain will be magnified times 100 when you push your body that much. So my advice is rest it for a little while and get back to it. Better to have undertrained a little and enter a race injury free than to have overtrained. The long runs are the key, if you can do them you will be ok.
Good Luck...you will enjoy Dublin...might see u there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for taking the time to reply folks. just to let you know I took a week off running and went to the gym. I missed a long run but felt pretty good on the mondya (about 8 days after the initial problem started.

Ignoring all good advice to take things easy I played 5-a-side football on the monday night for an hour having decided it was 'cure or kill' time and intending to play most of it in goal. Went well. No reaction the next day. Ran 8 miles on the weds. Again no reaction. Rested thurs, light speed work friday and just back from a long run an hour ago (12 miles - which is where I was when i was 'injured')

If there is no reaction tomorrow then I am hopeful all is well. Feels good just now other than being quite tired.

I am confident that I can do this. scheduled to do 15 miles next sunday, 18 after that, 20 after that and then tapering for the big day after that. Going to cut back on the midweek activity because I think my 36 year old legs are trying to tell me to act my age!

My target is to get round. Full stop. Less than 4.30 would be nice!!

Thanks again. I'll let you know how it goes. I'd be quite interested to hear from other first timers about training schedules and so on. It's pretty hard to follow one strictly while working at the same time!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another poor week! Looking for some advice from those of you who have been the course before so to speak!

The minor problem was a cold which developed after an 18 miler last sunday. Too rough to run apart from a few very short runs. Set out today to see how I would feel and maybe put up big miles. Didn't work out. Stopped after four feeling pretty rough and very sweaty (after 4 miles:() having formulated a plan to do two 12 milers this midweek instead of my normal 8 mile midweek and fartlek/ speed work.

My general idea is to get the mileage up after a low mileage week as much for my psyche as anything else, I want to be at the starting line knowing I have plenty of miles behind me - is this a good idea or should I go easier? Also planning to get my 20 miles in next sunday which would leave me two weeks before the Dublin Marathon to which I am now committed (and for which I am beginning to think I should BE committed to some form of asylum)

I think my base is good enough but there are a million and one niggling little doubts and mysterious aches and pains in the legs - is this the norm first time round?:'(

Anyway, I would appreciate any tips/ help:idea:

·
Registered
634 Posts
In my humble opinion (having only done 1 marathon myself), I'm not sure it's wise to do extra mileage to make up for training missed, especially as you've had a cold and may be a little run down. It may just result in further injuries or at just general exhaustion.

Also, running 20 miles takes a lot out of you - I don't know if it's a good idea to do it only 2weeks before your first marathon.

As you say, your base fitness is pretty good - so I'd be tempted to do what you can comfortably manage between now and the big day and arrive at the start line raring to go.

If you take it steady, you'll get round;)

Oh, and it will hurt.

Quite a lot.:p

Good luck:d

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Steve. Tried a 12 miler this evening. Ended up a 10! I am hoping this week will iron out last weeks problems. One or two mysterious pains and aches in the legs. If I ever do this again I am going to do it SOOO differently. Looking back I have been over doing it and expecting too much hence the set backs.

You are probably right about the 20 miles. My concern is I have only done one 18 mile run, 8 days ago. I just feel I have to do more!! And we're back to over doing it!

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
KD, now is probably the time to be very, very careful. An injury now could rule you out completely. As you say your main target is completion, so aim to that for now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hrun I have been putting in some very serious thought to the whole situation today and you are absolutely right.

My biggest fear until today was turning up lacking fitness - more realistically I should be worried about getting injured and wasting all the training I have done up until now by missing the damn thing altogether. I think I forgot that I am not an elite athlete. I am not even a good runner - just a guy who enjoys running.

I am determined to do it. If I have to walk it I will. So I am going to limit my running and get stuck in to non impact cross training the next few weeks.

I have learned so much from this whole experience and if I get to do this again I will be so much the wiser for it and will do less miles more frequently and give up my beloved but rather stupid and high impact 5-a-sides:rolleyes:. It has been an incredible journey for me personally so far and I want to see it through so I think it is time for cotton wool rather than high mileage.

Thanks for all your help folks. I really do appreciate it. I will let you know how I get on (I may have to keep my time a secret!). Finishing is all that counts. Less than 8 hours will be good:lol:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Good Luck with your run KD, I promise you, you will enjoy Dublin. There is a fantastic comradery between all the participants. I am certainly not in anyway connected with the promotion of Dublin but I have only ever had positive experiences there, im sure you will as well. So prepare the mind for the task ahead and those positive thoughts will ensure that the body isnt far behind. See you there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Eau Rouge,
I am told Dublin is pretty flat? I have been training on hills mainly (where I live it is hard to avoid them - Drumlin country, Ireland's Egg basket) and I am trying to convince myself that this will have been beneficial for a flat race and that I might even find it easier!!

Anyway, what I wanted to ask was - is there a good time to turn up at the RDS to get the bib number in order to avoid the crowds (11,700 people taking part??) Is there parking around the RDS? I am coming down from the north on Saturday morning to reccy the start and finish so my darling missus and children can be there to carry me to the car afterwards. is the end of the race jam packed? what will it be like meeting people after the race in the vicinity of Merrion Square? is it practical (I anticipate between 4.15 and 4.30 hours - really hoping for better but I just haven't a clue if I've trained for faster! - would that make a difference?)

If you (or anyone else) have any advice it would be appreciated.
KD

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks peanut - i need all the psychological boosts I can get! just over a week to go and the nerves are setting in. can't wait to get it done. Was watching an iron man thing on TV this morning. One guy took about 15 hours to do it. That is some slog. I shall try and remember him when/ if I hit the wall! the winner did it in half the time which is incredible also. every one of them looked in agony on the marathon leg of the race. I found a certain strange consolation in that!
KD

1 - 20 of 22 Posts