Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been suffering with a mild cold during the past week, unfortunately i also suffer with asthma which has irritated my chest a little (due to the cold).

I'm feeling better although not 100%, do you think it would be safe to resume light running?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Brian

Sorry to hear that, it might be worth leaving it still a couple more days, you don't want to set yourself back.

TT

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
twinkle toes said:
Hi Brian

Sorry to hear that, it might be worth leaving it still a couple more days, you don't want to set yourself back.

TT
Quite right, thanks TT.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
There was a thread recently where people were discussing running when not feeling 100%, can't remember what it was called though! The general feeling is that if the cold is above the neck, you should be okay, below the neck and it's better to give it a rest.

Personally I'll go out running regardless unless I can really feel my body telling me not to!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I've got a stinker of a cold at the moment, have to say I felt much better after my effort last night, but like Rich says, different if its on the chest.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I started a sore throat yesterday and was still going to run today. Got up this morning and its travelled down to my chest. I dont feel that bad in myself and have no cold but my chest is sore when i swallow food or drink so dont think i should be running. What do you guys think?

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Dr Simkiss says....

lol, if only I were a doctor eh! In my completely unprofessional opinion I'd say if you feel well enough to run then run... but if the motions of running (inc breathing etc) are causing you pain then you should probably be giving it a rest.

Hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Thanks Dr simkiss, if only more g.p's out there were as knowledgeable as yourself!!!!!;)
So sod it ill go run and see how i go

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
That was going to be Dr G's advice as well, get out there and see how you fell, if breathing is difficult i'd suggest a swift return to base.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Well, lets just say that I think most people know my views on running while your body is fighting a virus... I just didn't want to stir it up again ;)

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Well lets hope hayley managed her run without any problems... I don't think there's any right or wrong answer in these circumstances, I simply know how my body reacts and tend to offer an opinion biased towards my experiences.

No doubt if it hasn't gone well for hayley (my deepest apologies if you're curled up in bed feeling ill atm hayley!), then next time she's in the same situation she'll know how what suits her much better than 'Dr Simkiss' does. ;)

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Im still alive guys!!!!!
I didnt run far at all but through personal choice, i was fine but the cold air didnt do any favours to my chest but im no worse and feel o.k today.:d

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, quick 15 minute run myself yesterday after work. Cold air didn't help but, otherwise i felt better for it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts