Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have recently bought a heart rate monitor and guide to improve my fitness and endurance, times etc. The guide I have has given me a 12 week programme, which entails 4 runs per week always with rest days around the hard runs. Unfortunately my life is not as organised as this plan would like.

Is it possible to get benefits form this training by running 3x some weeks and 4x others weeks?

What about running easy runs the day before or after a hard run?

thanks for any info, Matt:d

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
You should be fine to do that, trainings not like a mathematical formula (i.e. this schedule WILL work, but if you change any aspect of it the result will be erroneous). Schedules are all about being flexible, and I'm sure you can manipulate this one to suit your lifestyle.

The main thing to remember is that it doesn't matter which order your runs are in, as long as you have rest days built in somewhere, and that each hard day is followed with either an easy day, or a rest day. The key runs are the hard sessions, so if you can't make a hard run one day, and have an easy day sheduled the next, forget the easy run and do the hard run in its place (rather than missing the hard run, and carrying on with the easy run). Of course when doing this continue to bare in mind the hard followed by rest/easy rule. :)

·
Registered
707 Posts
All I know is that so long as you have your long and quality runs in there, doesn't really matter allllllll that much where they go. Sometimes I move my long runs to sundays which isn't a huge deal because mondays are sorta middle-length easy runs anyway - at the end of the day - you'll know what works for you. The more and more regularly you train, the more your body will get used to it and you'll recover quickly, thus being able to move runs about... the only real limit I reckon is on speedwork, like long intervals for example - I need to leave 2 days between those at least. But biking is a good one!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts