Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!!
I was diagnosed today with anemia, my haemoglobin in fallen from 15.5 to 9.5. I just tried to do a run, and I am just drained, I started my iron supplements today. I have been cycling and have no problem, so im just wondering if anyone has suffered or knows of anyone that has suffered with it, and how long did it take to get back to form?and do you think i should keep jogging and cycling until i get better?

Thank you :)

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Im guessing your doctor didnt give any advice on what you should do?

I know very little about it but I would say listen to your body, dont push yourself too much until your better....

O.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Hi there!!
I was diagnosed today with anemia, my haemoglobin in fallen from 15.5 to 9.5. I just tried to do a run, and I am just drained, I started my iron supplements today. I have been cycling and have no problem, so im just wondering if anyone has suffered or knows of anyone that has suffered with it, and how long did it take to get back to form?and do you think i should keep jogging and cycling until i get better?

Thank you :)
I'm certainly no expert but I might give the iron supplements a little more time. It makes sense that you're tired because of the oxygen your muscles will be demanding - running is generally considered to be more strenuous than cycling so this could explain why you felt ok on the bike? Like I say, expert I am not :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think the iron supplements will only bring your haemoglobin up by about 1g/l per week so 6 weeks to return your haemoglobin to normal. (that's for kids I used to be a paediatrician, might be a bit longer for adults, and I might have remembered wrong but it's certainly not a short process!) I see no reason for you to stop training, you just have to accept that your bloodstream will not be supplying your organs with oxygen at the same rate as when you are not anaemic, so you will be more out of breath and I would guess more likely to suffer from muscle fatique, maybe stiches and cramps. I don't think it will do any harm for you to train as long as you don't expect too much of yourself.

:)

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Sounds like you are going to have to adap. Certainly give your body a chance.

Mrs Hrun needs B12 injections to control hers and has huge energy issues. We live round it. Good day we do stuff. Bad day she sleeps.

·
Registered
166 Posts
will also take about 6 months for liver stores of iron to replenish so don't stop taking the tablets even after haemoglobin is back to normal levels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts