Runners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice, info or thoughts (good or bad) on the following would be much appreciated............

My situation - I've recently gone from part time work to full time work. I am a single parent with a young boy and previously I used to be able to run/jog during school hours. Now I am working full time that option is no longer available to me.

Although I am usually able to get a decent run in at the weekend and a quick one (4-5miles-ish) on a Tuesday night this is simply not enough to keep me emotionally fit and healthy!! Plus I really want to train up to complete a marathon and twice a week simply won't cut it!

On top of this I'm now doing a sedentary job which is certainly not helping the 'I should be using energy' guilt trip :)

I'm therefore starting to think that a treadmill at home may be the only option. Although I'm not a huge fan of the 'dreadmill' this totally outweighs the negativity of not being able to run so often and I figure 30 mins while the boy has his brekkie in a morning will be better than no run!

So in short i'm looking for advice on treadmills and, although I realise they're not cheap I'm not made of money. Also I am VERY limited with space, basically it'll be in the kitchen!

Any advice on type? Manual/motorised? Buy/hire?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
the reviews about smooth on the runners world treadmill forum are scathing about smooth as a treadmill brand:

eg
http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/shoes-stuff/treadmills/tell-smooth-fitness-treadmills

i've not used them myself so can't comment. I have a fuel f85 and after a whole plethora of button faults it's settled down. It's got a great deck and a powerful motor. At least the warranty side has been good. But with the issues i've had i wouldn't recommend them.

If i was in the market for a treadmill i would make be looking at cybex, landice, precor, life fitness. But that kind of quality and reliability doesn't come cheap. My f85 was £1300 and the decent brands are in the 2-3k and upwards price. You may get lucky in the 2nd hand market.

Also, a decent treadmill is a big device, it would take up a big chunk of space. You need to look for a running deck of around 60x20inches for comfortable running.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
the reviews about smooth on the runners world treadmill forum are scathing about smooth as a treadmill brand:

eg
http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/shoes-stuff/treadmills/tell-smooth-fitness-treadmills

i've not used them myself so can't comment. I have a fuel f85 and after a whole plethora of button faults it's settled down. It's got a great deck and a powerful motor. At least the warranty side has been good. But with the issues i've had i wouldn't recommend them.

If i was in the market for a treadmill i would make be looking at cybex, landice, precor, life fitness. But that kind of quality and reliability doesn't come cheap. My f85 was £1300 and the decent brands are in the 2-3k and upwards price. You may get lucky in the 2nd hand market.

Also, a decent treadmill is a big device, it would take up a big chunk of space. You need to look for a running deck of around 60x20inches for comfortable running.
Hope this helps.

I have had no problems with the treadmill or the level of service provided. I got a good spec with mine and after looking at some of the brands that you mentioned before purchasing it I think I got excellent value for money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had no problems with the treadmill or the level of service provided. I got a good spec with mine and after looking at some of the brands that you mentioned before purchasing it I think I got excellent value for money.
good for you. i have read a lot of negative stuff about smooth so it's good to hear that it's not an overwhelmingly negative experience.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hi there, I have an Horizon Quantum GT treadmill. I *think* it cost around about £700 new about 4 years ago. It has been BRILLIANT. Touch wood, it's never let me down or had any mechanical issues or problems. I've used it an incredible amount (shudder to think how many miles I've run on it!) and as you identify, you can literally jump on and off it whenever you have a spare half hour, any time of day. It's indispensable to me as a stay at home Mum of two young girlies.

I would wholeheartedly recommend it as a make/model. I'm sure my particular model has been superceded by now, but I'd encourage you to consider it in a shortlist. I LOVE it.

It is gym standard and very hardy. Folds up nice and neatly when you're not using it. It works in MPH (most treadmills are in KPH and I prefer to work in MPH) and has all the usual functions - incline setting, etc.

Just editing to add this link - I think this is the model (maybe newer version) that I have http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/folding_treadmills/horizon_quantum_ii_hrc_treadmill/3290_p.html

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi there, I have an Horizon Quantum GT treadmill. I *think* it cost around about £700 new about 4 years ago. It has been BRILLIANT. Touch wood, it's never let me down or had any mechanical issues or problems. I've used it an incredible amount (shudder to think how many miles I've run on it!) and as you identify, you can literally jump on and off it whenever you have a spare half hour, any time of day. It's indispensable to me as a stay at home Mum of two young girlies.

I would wholeheartedly recommend it as a make/model. I'm sure my particular model has been superceded by now, but I'd encourage you to consider it in a shortlist. I LOVE it.

It is gym standard and very hardy. Folds up nice and neatly when you're not using it. It works in MPH (most treadmills are in KPH and I prefer to work in MPH) and has all the usual functions - incline setting, etc.

Just editing to add this link - I think this is the model (maybe newer version) that I have http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/folding_treadmills/horizon_quantum_ii_hrc_treadmill/3290_p.html
+1 I have the same treadmill and never had any problems.
Had it for 4 years although only seen regular use this year.
I paid 700 for mine but have seen them on ebay for much less.

·
Banned
408 Posts
Have you tried looking on ebay? I bought one a while ago for £120 and the person selling it didn't need it, so went cheap. I mainly use the one in the gym, but this gets used really for if I've been training and want to run quickly.
Obviously, check everything before taking it away, but as it would mean picking up, anyway, you can do that.

Also a tip: put a mirror infront and side of you, as it helps to keep you central to the plate and can see yourself run.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine was only about £300 in argos and I think it's great. Definitely go for a motorised one and not manual. This one looks similar to mine. Nothing fancy but it tells you everything you need. Speed, time, distance, pulse. It's easy to fold the bottom up although it weighs a ton!

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Pro...93/c_3/3|cat_14419293|Treadmills|14419318.htm
The link to Argos is dead, I would appreciate if you could post the make and model of your treadmill, I am working to a similar budget and not sure of what treadmill to buy, it would help to see the one you have.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I'd never get a treadmill as the outside is, well, just outside but I would, and am, seriously considering getting a rowing machine.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I'd never get a treadmill as the outside is, well, just outside but I would, and am, seriously considering getting a rowing machine.
Make sure you get one with the sculling action and not a mamby pamby one for a proper workout.

My OH recently bought a second hand Dreadmill (Horizon T930) 2.65hp motor +10 auto incline, intervals and undulating pre set as well as a fat burning mode and she loves it but not my cup of tea and I havent used it as of yet.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I am a HUGE fan of treadmills (seems I am in the minority). Have had mine about 3 weeks now and have never done so much running in my life. I LOVE it. My advice tho is to get a half decent one otherwise you probably wont end up using it very much as it wont have stuff like cushioning for your knees and good horse power etc. My last one wasn't up to much and I hardly ever used it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Trying to find a treadmill that would work for me. I'm 5'11", 185 lbs, and would be running on it about 50-60 miles/week. Not interested in fans, screens, or any of that but want something solid. Space isn't a concern Shapewhizz.
I have a Horizon T101 that's always been a bit noisy and now it's loud and squeaking. I'm looking to replace it.
I would like to keep the price at 1,100 or less. I was looking at the Sole F63, but people say that isn't really for running. Having said that, I use my treadmill every day and sometimes run races and might consider something more expensive. Most of my running is at about 6 mph but 20% of the time I'm doing intervals at a higher speed.
Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts