Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've turned to the gyms treadmill to get me started , and am managing 20mins (plus warm up and warm down), with the speed set at 7.5.

I know the treadmill is easier than the road, but is this an acceptable way to start???

I'm overweight, so want to watch my ankles and knees 'til i get a bit lighter!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would recommend that you run properly, even if it means doing shorter runs.

I used to run about 1/2 hour on a treadmill but on my first run was shocked to discover I could only run for about 15 mins!

But your fitness levels soon build up and I think the calorie burn is much higher from actual running as you have to propel yourself forward.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned about being on a treadmill instead of out on the roads - the main thing is that you have started an exercise regime.

The main point is to stick to it rather than worry about where you are doing it. If you feel better starting in the gym until you get fitter/lighter/more confident then thats cool. Move out into the roads when you feel ready.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
As Badz says. It is quite acceptable. 20 mins at that speed is good going.

I ran on a treadmill only for the first couple of month and whilst I now love outdoors I still use it regularly for convenience as it is in the front room. Don't be put of by people rubbishing it. Exercise is exercise no matter where you do it

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Treadmillsa re fine in my eyses...I use them for 2 of my runs each week to simply ensure I do different things each run....and to keep dry if I don't fancy a soaking!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Treadmillsa re fine in my eyses...
Lol, are you sure your eyes are working properly Steve ;)

No problem starting out on a tready... it's a infinitely better that sat at home doing nothing! Stick with it as long as you feel you want/need to, but once you get used to outdoor running, I reckon you'll soon find the treadmill less appealing.

Good on you for getting stuck in :cool:

·
Registered
98 Posts
until about 4 weeks ago all my running was treamill and like Barry says was shocked to find a road run nearly killed me..but now I am surprised just how quick the fitness levels increase and what was a struggle a few weeks ago is now alot easier.. I think like the guys are saying just doing something is better than nothing all I would say is to change the run tempo / incline or program regular just to keep the body guessing...keep it going and good luck...let us know how you are getting on

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Incline is definately a good way to prepare you for outdoors when you are ready.
Agreed. Put it at 1 or 2 degrees after warming up for 5 mins or so on the level...and then do cool down on the level.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I've turned to the gyms treadmill to get me started , and am managing 20mins (plus warm up and warm down), with the speed set at 7.5.

I know the treadmill is easier than the road, but is this an acceptable way to start???

I'm overweight, so want to watch my ankles and knees 'til i get a bit lighter!
i used to be a gym freak and i spent a lot of time on the treadmill.
i think it's very useful becuase you can easily monitor progress/heart rate/speed/averages etc. the conditions don't change (but try to use the same machine if they have a few in the gym)
i had never done a race in competition and i entered my 1st race 3 years ago having done 95% treadmill and just ahandful of road runs, i managed a sub 22 minute 5k.

i think i'll struggle to beat that now but i hope to.

good luck and keep it up, it'll all come together in time and the weight will soon drop off

·
Registered
278 Posts
I did all my running on the treadmill at first because I was heavy and not confident of being able to run more than a couple of minutes outside. As I was aware that the consensus was that treadmills are easier than the road I ran at 2% incline all the time.

When I switched to outside I realised that 2% was probably overcooking it and not replicating the road as I thought as I was able to run for approximately double the length of time at a similar pace.

For a while I was alternating longer out door runs with shorter intervals on the treadmill ( 11kph at 2% ) and made progress in mileage on the outdoor runs. I haven't been on a treadmill for 2 - 3 weeks now and the outdoor runs are actually getting worse (slightly slower, not as far, and avg heart bpm higher throughout) is there a link and was the treadmill serving a purpose I wonder ?? I don't know.

I do know though that the treadmill was mentally more taxing for me as it was boring, I was too hot and had a clock in my face.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I hadn't considered the clock before. That might be why the treadmill seems monotonous, I am clock watching. I am going to try covering it up next time and see if this makes a difference.

·
Registered
295 Posts
im thinking of buying a treadmill because of the conditions i had to run in last winter, i was determined to go for my run no matter what even after bad fall:rolleyes:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hrun, I think the clock has a significant psychological impact. If its in your face you over analyse it, or I do anyway, thinking "do I normally feel this tired at this point?" "Feels like Ive been on ages" "the minutes are going by so slow" etc. I would think I was just a lunatic but Ive noticed other people put towels over the clock.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts