Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I have a Life Fitness treadmill..not a basic model though as it has several functions. Not cheap though.

I think something that can give you a gradient, has random, manual and hill modes, calculates mileage and time is essential. Also you don't want it to be too noisy!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wanted to replace one of my weekly runs with a treadmill session to reduce my risk of injury firsttimer - I've got a problem with my shins and I've been advised to reduce the intensity of my taining. I've suffered with various biomechanically related injuries since I've taken up running.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I bought a treadmill late last year SE and I am so pleased with it.
As Steve said for a half decent one you do need to spend a few quid.
There are many factors to consider aswel.
I did read a lot of reviews and think it would be worth your while researching before you buy as it would be a lot of money to spend only to find that it's not up to scratch.
The main things that I required were the warranty.Some don't offer as long as others the average seems to be about 1 year parts and labour.
I managed to get 3 years warranty with a 10 yr motor warranty.
The top speed on most treadmills up to about £1000 is about 10 mph I wanted a faster one that that,and mine goes up to 12mph,it also has the other options such as incline,hill work,intervals etc. The treadmill has improved my ability to run at a more constant pace on the road.
The belt width varies aswel,the norm is 18" but you can get some with 20".The extra 2" doesn't sound much but does make a big difference.
If you have room for a fixed then that is probably better(according to what I've read)but they are usually dearer.Mine is a folding type.
The frame work is more reliable if it is welded rather than held together by nuts and bolts as over time they will loosen.
if you look at treadmill doctor they give ratings and comparisons for most price catagories.
My one is a "smooth fitness" make and I can't speak highly enough of it and the service was great.Incidentally,the belt on this model is orthapaedic apparantly,so even kinder on the joints than the average treadmill in it's price range.Don't know how they do that though.:confused:
Didn't intend to bore you with an essay!:eek:

·
Registered
123 Posts
That makes sense SE. I was only joking, i would also really like a treadmill but after reading hot foot 's reply i think they are way out of my price range!!
my shins are a lot better than when i first started but its the knees now giving a bit of discomfort when running especially the first few miles!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
You can still get decent enough treadmills for less than that,I'm sure,First timer but I was specific in my requirements.It's also worth checking out the second hand market as I did notice that you can pick up an ex gym type standard treadmill at a very good price.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Hot Foot that was really useful - I'm going to actually check out a gym tomorrow if I decide to get my own its going to take me a while to save.

Firstimer - you have got proper running shoes haven't you? I did 4 miles at club on Thursday. I ran with someone slightly slower than myself and ran at her pace, which was good for both of us. I was wearing my shin supports and my orhtotics felt comfortable and I could fee the benefit of the extra shock absorbing layer and the discomfort has been much reduced so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes SE i got shoes from Alfords running shop in Plymouth, they only looked at the bottom of my old shoes though no gait analysis. I have noticed they are wearing more on the inside of the foot is this a worry? Only had them since just before Christmas so should have life left in them yet, I hope cost £60!!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe they are now offering video gait analysis according to their recent ad in Runnersworld. What did they put you in? I went there to get my very first pair of shoes and they put me in a neutral shoe I then discovered I overpronate.

I would go back to them and get them checked out - they won't give you a refund but you might get away with a pair of inserts.

£60 is actually quite cheap for a pair of running shoes

·
Registered
123 Posts
This is the shoe i've got

Etonic Streetfighter Cushioned Womens
A Stable, durable, moderately corrective trainer. Featuring stable air cushioning in the heel and ico-10 in the forefoot. Broad based and generous fitting like it's non-corrective brother, the firm and reassuring feel has been the key to it's success.

I have wide feet so some shoes are just to narrow tried loads on in the shop and this seemed the most comfortable.
I think the Knee aches may just be due to increasing the mileage and actually running most of it (even though its slow)
Today i went from Colebrook back home just over 6 miles and felt good once the first couple of miles were over.
With two young children expensive running shoes are a luxury i can't afford!!!
Hope your running goes well this weekend:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd only be concerned if there was no wear down the middle of the forefoot. You can buy shock adsorbing insoles from Frank Elfords or Tony Pryce if your knees get too painful usually around £20.

·
Registered
31 Posts
SE, I bought a treadmill from Technofit who advertise on Ebay, the one I bought goes up to 16kmph and has an incline of 15deg, it is a folding model which is good for space saving and also has 12 different programs. It was £400 delivered, which I didn't think was too dear!! - it also has a cushioning base which is good for knees.:)

Jo

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Jo so we will all be popping round to yours for a quick trial? I'm only joking I joined a gym over the weekend so I'm going to see how I get on. OH isn't keen on the idea of me buying a treadmill.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bit of a disastrous day today. Tried out a new off road route but without checking it out first - very hilly and wasn't sure where I was going and after a mile my calves started to ache. I abandoned the run and was slightly the disturbed by the number of men out walking dogs.

Decided to try again down the gym using the treadie. Aim was to do 10k but lost the will to live after 5K. I tried listening to my own music but my earphones kept coming out so ended up removing music player in frustration.

Not very well prepared for next weeks race.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm sure you'll be fine SE remember you have done the distance before so you know you can do it. Just think of Dotty's voice in your ear all the way round!
I did Hearts firts jog today at Saltram. Arrived early and did the course on my owm for a warm up lap then after some exercises at the start went round again for the real thing, bit dissapointed with time 43mins for the second 5km, but i'm not worried about time for 1/2 i know i will do it however long it takes. I'm sure you will feel the same when Saturday comes good luck

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
We all have them SE.

Don`t worry about it. have a couple of easy runs this week and I`m sure you will be ok next weekend.

I think half of us on here have got a race next week.

So with a bit of luck we`ll all be posting good times in 7 days time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts