Runners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right treadmills how good are they really?
I have one in my garage/gym its not quite David Lloyd or LA fitness but does the job, it does 0-8mph, and i do about 5 miles on it if i have to use it because i cant get out for whatever reason.
Do you think they are nearly as good as going out running or would you never replace a training session with treadmill running any advice would be great hayley

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I have a Life Fitness treadmill and do find it useful to train on when the weather is bad! The good thing about them is that you can regulate your speed, inclines and distance. The drawbacks of course are that you go nowhere, you run alone, you don't get the thrill of the fresh air and, if you are like me, you get a lot hotter a lot quicker, and all that entails!!

For me then treadmill running is a good substitute but not as good as the real thing.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I can`t imaging enjoying running on a treadmill,so I`ve never owned one,but others I have spoken to seem to use them when It`s cold or wet.

I`d rather still be running outside whatever the conditions.

See how good I am at answering posts without hardly ever giving any usefull advice......:embarrassed:

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah i agree with everything you have said.Mines a body sculpture treadmill. My better half tells me not to run on it at 8mph or ill burn the motor out, but if i run at 7.5mph i do 5 miles slower than if i went out, plus i find it so so boring, but then i think its better than doing nothing at all...........

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im doing some hill running tonight up down and up down, the the rest isnt flat either, then try and do 10k a few times up to the race on 24th, i find longer distance harder i think than i do speed so im trying to put it all together than maybe i might get 46mins at the finishing line.................................dont know why im so hung up about this race maybe because its my first 10k oh well

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Well the good thing about this race is that however you go you will do a pb!!

Don't get stressed about it..you can only do what you can do and some days are better/easier than others. On race day adrenalin will kick in to help you.

If you can try to do a couple of slow, easy runs of say 7.5m before the race...they will help your stamina on the day itself.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah iv never run 7.5 miles, its hard as my town is only small and id have to go out of brightlingsea and iv not lived here long,might get lost and look like a wally......
But i use nike routefinder which is quite accurate for distance so ill see what i can work out.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
It only has to be a very slow 7.5m.....
If you are aiming for 46m for the 10k that's just about 7'30" pace so if you do 7.5m training run at 9' -9'30" pace you'll be fine...trust me!!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a problem with slowing my pace down and i dont know why, maybe to to get home faster to have that glass of wine in the evening haha No but i really not sure why this is

·
Registered
143 Posts
hayley1977 said:
Yeah iv never run 7.5 miles, its hard as my town is only small and id have to go out of brightlingsea and iv not lived here long,might get lost and look like a wally......
But i use nike routefinder which is quite accurate for distance so ill see what i can work out.
Hayley

Simply do a couple of laps.

flakey

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dont know about you but i do get bored easily so i might have to find a running partner, be abit strange though when you dont know them ...............

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Hayley,
I substituted one of my weekly runs for a treadmill session down the gym as I'm quite injury prone. I tend to use if for interval sessions and only run on one for about 30-40 mins - it is very tedious.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
hayley1977 said:
I have a problem with slowing my pace down
Me too, but I reckon it's no bad thing. We each have our individual pace and rhythm, our own little drummer, and it's very difficult to change it. My partner is slower than me and when we set off for a run together I'm forever getting 50 yards or so in front of her, then having to turn round and run back to her. So her 5 mile run is probably 5½ for me!
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Funny that my dad always tells me you have your own pace made up so dont try and change it thanks

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats who i first started running with when i was about 9 years old used to do a few 4m fun runs with my dad and did that till i was about 14 then i was more interested in boys!!!
Silly girl there just trouble.
So i took it up again a year ago long break i know

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
hayley1977 said:
Thats who i first started running with when i was about 9 years old used to do a few 4m fun runs with my dad and did that till i was about 14 then i was more interested in boys!!! Silly girl there just trouble. So i took it up again a year ago, long break i know
Long break maybe, but it's never too late. I was even older than your dad when I took up running (54) but it's given me some of the most fulfilling days of my life - though some were a bit painful! And who knows, it might even have prolonged my life.
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its a shame really, my dads 57 he has bad knees so doesnt really run that much anymore, we did a race in november together at gloucester park basildon, but i left him as im faster now, never used to be hehe

1 - 19 of 19 Posts