Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
We have a Proform which seems to do the job. One of our criteria was that it could cope with my 18 stone as though it was for Mrs Hrun I knew I would want a go.

The other thing I would ensure is it has motorized incline and walk programs to keep things varied.

HTH Giles

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have a Pro Form 585 V Treadmill which does the job nicely... although I think I paid around the £650 / £700 mark for it... It appears to be more robust than cheaper ones, so I thought paying the little extra worthwhile..... and it comes with a TV aswell! :d

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I don't know a huge amount about treadmills, but recently I had a go on one that I assume was indended for home use...

Having only used the ones in the gym before I found this treadmill to seem pretty flimsy - okay I understand the ones in the gym are designed for a LOT of use and cost a lot more as a result - but the one thing I noticed the most was the width of the 'belt' that you run on... it was seemingly much narrower than the gym treadmill's one, as a result I felt very unstable and couldn't run very naturally at all!

If at all possible I'd recommend seeing your prospective purchase in person before parting with any cash... unless of course £500 is pocket change... in which case why not spend more? lol!

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Richard, do you normally get drunk before going for a run that you can't manage a straight line??????

How about going to the supermarket when it's quiet and running on one of the conveyor belts at the checkout, that way it will cost you nothing and you get to see if you like it before deciding whether a treadmill is for you!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
lol... hardly... it was just the feeling of knowing there was such a small margin for error... Hmmmm, i dunno, I guess it's like putting someone in a room with a low ceiling and telling them to jump up and down - there would always be a bit of a concern that you might bang your head that would stop you from jumping naturally?

I'll get my coat :embarrassed:

·
Registered
298 Posts
I agree, if you look around when you are on a treadmill it is easy to veer onto the static side and crash and burn…

Mine is wide enough that I can look behind me (my Rottweiler sometimes tries to get on it with me and he just cant work out that he has to keep on running!) and even with some deviation I manage to stay on it without dislocating my knees on crash and burn!

Just my 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000002 steps worth…

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
any advice on treadmills then???
Yes, don't bother. Run outside in the fresh air and save the £500 for a nice holiday:d OK I know this isn't what you want to hear but it is my advice on treadmills.

flak, flak, watch out Zanshin here comes the flak:worried:

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Yes, don't bother. Run outside in the fresh air and save the £500 for a nice holiday:d OK I know this isn't what you want to hear but it is my advice on treadmills.

flak, flak, watch out Zanshin here comes the flak:worried:
View attachment 562

Yeah, I agree. And now I'm going to draw the flak towards myself by saying that I don't consider dreadmill running to be proper running... where you are facing the elements, differing terrain, constantly changing gradients etc... Dreadmill running is artificial, sterile and soulless...:(( Caged hamsters looking for freedom? :( No thanks.

And now... the votes in favour..................;)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
look on smoothfitness.com, that's where I got mine from, I did spend quite a bit on it though but my Dad bought one from them recently for about £800 and it does plenty for what he needs, also look at treadmill doctor it is a us website but will give you the best brand names to look at and other info.

On my treadmill I have extra width belt as well which is better as Richard was saying you feel you have a bit more room.

Smoothfitness are great I bought online without seeing and they have very good customer care, ours did arrive with some damage and we provided pictures of the damage and they sent out brand new parts it was only superficial damage.

Hope this helps :d

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Mr P. I do wish you would not be so dismissive of treadmills and I am not going to vote for or against.

What I will say is that treadmills have a place in the sport. Many people will start out on treadmills to get a little fitter and then move into the real world as their confidence grows. I am a prime example.

Others need the controlled environment a treadmill gives where they can choose the incline if any and when they need to stop do not find themselves a distance from home. Such as my wife who has a heart condition.

By stating that treadmill runners are in some way inferior belittles a lot of peoples efforts which should be applauded.

<end of rant>

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I much prefer outside in the fresh air off the road to, it's a good stress buster. Reckon I'd do myself an injury on a treadmill anyway. :confused:

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Mr P. I do wish you would not be so dismissive of treadmills and I am not going to vote for or against.

What I will say is that treadmills have a place in the sport. Many people will start out on treadmills to get a little fitter and then move into the real world as their confidence grows. I am a prime example.

Others need the controlled environment a treadmill gives where they can choose the incline if any and when they need to stop do not find themselves a distance from home. Such as my wife who has a heart condition.

By stating that treadmill runners are in some way inferior belittles a lot of peoples efforts which should be applauded.

<end of rant>
Treadmill RUNNING is inferior.
Fair play to anyone who's prepared to put up with the monotony.

I don't think that I actually mentioned any inferiority with regard to treadmill/non-treadmill RUNNERS... But seeing as you brought it up, and are therefore inviting a comparison, Id wager that "outside" runners are fitter, faster, healthier and less prone to injury.

I repeat: artificial, sterile and soulless.:((

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
But, better than doing nothing at all! And for that reason I wish you wouldn't rubbish it.

I hope you don't think I am arguing. I just wish you could be more positive and see it as a start point for so many people.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
But, better than doing nothing at all! And for that reason I wish you wouldn't rubbish it.

I hope you don't think I am arguing. I just wish you could be more positive and see it as a start point for so many people.

No Hrun, I don't think you're arguing. You're merely expressing a very valid point of view.
You see, my problem seems to be the fact that I am sort of "weighed down" by my traditionalist running outlook. I'm 44, and have been running competitively since I was 9. Having so much experience behind me tends to isolate and alienate me in the Forum environment. My attitudes and approaches always seem to be a World away from the prevailing consensus.
I find myself deliberately avoiding quite a few of the threads, as I've learned that my opinions are often almost invalidated by the weight of contemporary rules, beliefs and technological innovation voiced in opposition.
It seems that a majority of people just don't "get" where I'm coming from. Unfortunately this seems to work in the other direction too. C'est la vie.:|

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Thankyou for your frankness.

I know what you mean. I often walk away from a thread and think hard before I post and I still put my foot in it.

Personally, you played a big part in my decision to venture outdoors and I have learnt a lot from your posts. I also find the speed you pick up on points and respond with humour refreshing.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I know what you mean. I often walk away from a thread and think hard before I post and I still put my foot in it.

Personally, you played a big part in my decision to venture outdoors and I have learnt a lot from your posts. I also find the speed you pick up on points and respond with humour refreshing.

Yes Hrun I agree Ped's got a witty sense of humour, he makes me laugh.:)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I honestly regret when my posts come across as being critical; but at the same time I believe that there is a certain inevitability to this, given the wide spectrum of standpoints that a forum of this nature will always attract.

Dimple and Hrun: thanks for your above comments. They've really brightened up my morning. A pleasant way to start the day (after the run, of course. ;)).

Hrun: I've watched your progress and your escalating enthusiasm with interest. Your application and dedication to your task are to be admired and should stand out as fine examples to follow.

Dimple: you're very good with a spade :p (you can come out of your hole now... for a while;)).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts