Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just started training for a triathlon (sprint in spring, olympic in autumn) so have been looking over some of the old tri threads.

Basically any help would be appreciated especially for swimming!

I am enjoying the variety of the training but it is tiring me out a bit. Unfortunately I am not able to run as often as I would like, but I think improvements in my fitness will bring my running times down eventually.

Currently I am doing 3 45min sessions a week in the pool, 2 on the bike (1 spin, 1 long) and 2 running (1 treadmill interval, 1 6-8 miler).

My swimming is piss poor but I'm enjoying the challenge!

flakey

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I would recommend going for lessons at your local pool. Even though I could swim, I booked in for a ten week block and it improved my swimming a lot. My next step is to join a tri club, who have a couple of swim sessions every week.

Lessons are definately a good start, IMHO.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm training with the masters section of Larkhall Swimming Club, so I'm getting loads of help

·
Registered
21 Posts
As a veteran of several sprint and olympic tri's I would definately recommend putting effort into running as I've failed badly there after middling swims and bike rides. Having the confidence to run off the first mile or so after you get off the bike come from training. IE do a tri in training...i used to go to my local pool and have my bike outside, ask the attendant to open the emergency door so you can get straight out of the pool and onto the bike. then run after the bike ride. SPrint tri's are really easy and good fun....try not to be overawed by the "am i going to finish the thing" feeling its really not that far!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just back from spectating at Ironman Switzerland, quite inspiring, I'm a bit worried I might catch the bug!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts