Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The people who win trophies at races for my club are the same 2 people race in, race out...they are a vet 65+ man and a vet 55+ lady. I suspect this applies to most clubs.

Does this mean I'll win trophies when I get to 60+? I doubt it as there are more runners of my age and younger, but still in my age group, and they are likely to continue beating me until I give up racing. :eek:

What does this mean? I suppose it means that we enter races to compete against ourselves both physically and mentally, whilst at the same time living in hope that one day we'll beat our regular rival who always seems to finish a few strides ahead of us despite our best efforts.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I won some prizes in 2005. Mostly age group (lady vet 40-45), but I was also 1st female in an ultra and a non racing prize in South Glos Sportswoman of the Year.

For me it was a case of going through the self doubt/confidence barrier. Having the courage to push myself hard in a race.

Train smart and race hard seems to be the key Steve, I'm sure you can do it.

One other thing to consider is choose your races carefully. Smaller, tougher ones will attract less competition ;)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trinity said:
One other thing to consider is choose your races carefully. Smaller, tougher ones will attract less competition ;)
I have never won anything when racing.
SWMBO has picked up 2/3 trophies in her time...:)

The sister in law though has won a ladies open event and she does 10min miling at best....it was a New Years' Day race...there were 5 entrants and only one lady!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve said:
On this subject the two runners referred to are walking away with our age graded club championships.
Just to update they both won..he by a nose in the end but she by several furlongs!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Steve said:
Just been to spend club funds on trophies for club champs..not cheap are they?!
Not judging by the pony medals handed out at the Brentwood Half Marathon :d

1 - 7 of 7 Posts