1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
286 Posts
Looks like a reasonable deal, but not exceptional (the best value on road bikes tends to be at the end of the season (August/September) when the retailers are clearing out stock to make space for next year's models) - most companies will do a similarly-specced bike at around that price (or a little cheaper - you are paying a wee bit extra for the Trek name/brand). If you can (and I realise that you're possibly not in the best location for this to be an option), the best thing to do would be to find a shop with that model (and maybe a few alternatives) in stock, and ask to take it out for a trial ride.

It's hard to say if a triple or a compact is better - you get more range of gears in a triple (useful if you live in a hilly area or plan on doing a lot of hill climbing on the bike), but a compact is a little bit lighter and simpler. The 12-30 cassette in the spec suggests that there's plenty of range in the gearing anyway.

Disc brakes are pretty rare on a road bike - virtually every road bike that's available for sale will have the 'standard' rim brakes.

Just offering an opinion as a runner who does a bit of cycling - am not claiming to be an expert.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Looks Ok, wouldn't bother with triple, might be worth looking at a boardman team carbon road bike from halfords as its a similar spec but with a carbon frame.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I have a Boardman with an ali frame with carbon forks and its great and cheapish at £600 ish !

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I'm looking to upgrade too, for a grand you can get the all carbon Boardman its on the halfords website
If I could have afforded this one I would have had it !
Go for it , you wont regret it .

·
Registered
228 Posts
Have you got a decent local bike shop?

I would rather pay a little more and get a bike locally, if you get any problems it will save you in the long run and I don't mean halfords I mean a proper bike shop.

Get a bike fit too to make sure it is setup properly which will hopefully help minimise any injuries you could pick up.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The problem is, I have a £1,000 bike to work certificate to use that has to be used in Evans. The closest one is a 3 hour drive away.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Have you got a decent local bike shop?

I would rather pay a little more and get a bike locally, if you get any problems it will save you in the long run and I don't mean halfords I mean a proper bike shop.

Get a bike fit too to make sure it is setup properly which will hopefully help minimise any injuries you could pick up.
Agree with you there about Halfords our local one har a terrible reputation but the bikes are great !

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is FSA Gossamer Chainset and how does it compare to Shimano? Full description on the bike: Shimano 105 Derailleurs with a FSA Gossamer Chainset

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I may have 4 favourites. Do these look OK, or should I keep looking?

Can anyone tell me if any of these are obviously bad, or significantly better than the other three?

If you were told to choose one of these four, which would you pick?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Could you go to a local bike shop and have a look to see if they have these models and try them.

If they have you could be upfront and say you will come back and get the Evans bike fitted properly if they let you try them.

At least they get some money for the fit and also the follow on sales like tube's and all the other crap that comes with being a cyclist. (good crap though :))

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I'd go for the Genesis Volant simply on the basis that it has a higher RRP but is reduced because it's the 2013 model. So it is likely to be a slightly higher spec than the other 3.

·
Registered
286 Posts
What is FSA Gossamer Chainset and how does it compare to Shimano? Full description on the bike: Shimano 105 Derailleurs with a FSA Gossamer Chainset
The Gossamer chainset (i.e. the pedal cranks and front rings) is at the lower end of the FSA range, but it does the job perfectly well. Shimano chainsets aren't compatible with some types of bottom bracket (the bit where the chainset goes through the frame - is usually a BB30 bottom bracket that causes this), so it's pretty common to see a bike fitted out with all-Shimano stuff except for an FSA chainset.

Of the four bikes that you posted a little later, I wouldn't go with the Kona, as it has a lower spec on the chainset (the Vero is the low-end FSA model) and brakes (Tektro will do the job, but Shimano are better). The other three appear to be fairly similar in terms of spec, so it probably comes down to which one fits you best - yes, I'm going to point out again that it would be best for you to have a try before you buy if at all possible...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Have you considered mekk bikes? The get very good reviews for the frames, which is the most important part of the bike (everything else can be upgraded at a later date and even the lowest grade drive train will do the job until you get good enough to notice the better performance or lighter weight)

·
Registered
302 Posts
They all look much the same to me have you looked at Ribble,? They have customisable options planet x as well. I think you can find cheaper alloy bikes with shimano 105 and carbon forks.

·
Registered
450 Posts
What type of riding will you be doing? I.e long sportives and weekend rides or fast racing? That will make a big difference.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts