Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my high of running 20 miles for the first time on Sunday,I went for a run on Tuesday, found a pot hole and turned on my left ankle.

It really did hurt for 1/2 a mile or so ,but seemed to ease of before I finished my run.(another couple of miles.)

Wednesday I was suprised that it felt ok to run on,so I did 4.5 miles. When I stopped the pain started.

It seems to start just under the ankle bone on the outside of my foot and extends down and under my foot.

The way it feels at the moment I can`t Imaging running for a week or so,which is a bit of an arse as I have a half marathon on the 9th March.

Any suggestions as to what I have done and how to treat this to speed up recovery gratefully received.

Cheers.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Oh Dave you poor thing, having not experienced that before my initial thought is rest, you have worked so hard recently a rest will do you no harm, with any luck it might just be inflamed and will ease with rest.

I hope you are fixed soon as I will be on the sidelines on the 9th assuming it's Brentwood you are running I have got a few of my crowd running it, so hopefully will be able to cheer you too.

TT

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks TT.

Brentwood it is.......Fingers crossed I`ll be ok for it.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Ice and rest I reckon, swimming is supposed to be good for this sort of thing.

fingers crossed buddy!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Ice and rest ...blimey I agree with Granty...!

Turned my ankle playing 5 aside once..carried on playing and then didn't ice it.....didn't play again for 4 weeks....not that I'm a doom merchant or anything!!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
The fact that you were able (and the fact that you tried) to run the day after the sprain would suggest that the damage is only minor...
How bad is it now?
Can it bear your weight?
Can you walk?
Could you run on it?
Even maybe jog a mile?
Would you try?
Only you can decide.
A lot depends on how much you want to keep on running.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Dave... really sorry to hear that!

Apart from the obvious ice and rest, you need to get a good ankle support asap and wear it while you're walking around during the day. It will help your ankle to heal quicker while you get on with day to day stuff.

You don't need to worry about training... you've got loads in the bank and your fitness will not noticeably deteriorate.

If you take complete rest from running for a week, wear the ankle support, and take it easy, you could probably gently test your ankle in a weeks time. Don't be tempted to try and play catch up though if it's ok.

If it still needs more rest then take another 3 or 4 days. I'm almost positive it will be fine by then... and you'll be ok for the half :)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to you all for the advice and comments.

Trin.I promise to be patient and not run too soon.

Thanks Pedestrian.hope your right and it`s only minor.

Granty.I`m a pretty good swimmer,but it bores me senseless............... lazy2.gif

Steve.Thanks for your optimism......... smiley-faces6.gif

Oh well.A weekend without running.Might as well make the most of it................ beer.gif

Drinking and football............Com`on you Irons.................... fan2.gif

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Dave said:
Thanks to you all for the advice and comments.

Trin.I promise to be patient and not run too soon.

Thanks Pedestrian.hope your right and it`s only minor.

Granty.I`m a pretty good swimmer,but it bores me senseless............... View attachment 248

Steve.Thanks for your optimism......... View attachment 251

Oh well.A weekend without running.Might as well make the most of it................ View attachment 249

Drinking and football............Com`on you Irons.................... View attachment 250

Don't forget the ankle support Dave :)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wouldn`t dream of it Trin.........

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Today was the first time I felt any real improvement thanks TT.

I must stay patient and not go out running until I`m sure it is ready............ pullhair.gif

With less than 2 weeks before the Brentwood half,I don`t want too risk going back training to early.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can`t be to far away from returning yourself TT.

You have been really patient.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Dave,
I hope everything goes well for you on the run up to your next half. If it's any consolation, both my shins were wrecked on the Friday two days before my first half last year (I was almost hobbling round Morrrisons!), but I got up and ran it on the Sunday because the body heals quickly and you still have plenty of time to rest. Good luck - I know how you feel after all that training. Fingers crossed:)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cheers Rob.........

Here`s hoping............

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Dave said:
You can`t be to far away from returning yourself TT.

You have been really patient.
Hi Dave

Thanks for asking, I am going to give it another 2 weeks, and then I am getting back to it, I saw the consultant today and the problem I have could get worse just by sneezing or other such simple day to day things, the running may just speed the process up and I need to be careful I just need to watch out for the signs, or it might not change at all, not very clear I know.

I have been very good with my core stability training and the physio is happy with my progress, initially I am going to look at just doing 10k races and see how I get on with them and progress on to 1/2's again, fingers crossed.

How are you doing?

TT

·
Registered
348 Posts
Nightmare Dave. If it's any consolation I did the same thing a few years ago, 2 weeks before a half marathon, then posted my 1/2 pb after 2 weeks off. It's definitely in the tank, so don't worry.

I'm hoping to consign that pb to history this sunday in Reading.....

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Cheers LJ.

Good luck on Sunday.

I was hoping for a PB next week. If it worked for you,then maybe it will work for me...

TT.

Still seems to be Improving thanks.

Might just try and do a bit on Thursday or Friday.

You have obviously worked hard at doing the right things for a successful comeback.

So lets hope that you get the rewards you deserve.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Twinks... I've missed the info on you being out. Really sorry to hear that, I'm guessing from what you just posted that it's your back?
I hope it recovers soon

Dave... I'm glad you have been sensible, I'm sure it will pay off in the half marathon

1 - 20 of 100 Posts