Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 10k is this Sunday. I have decided I am not going to run or go to the gym again before then as my legs are still quite achy from a big session on Wednesday night.

I'll be eating all the right the right stuff till then, and hopefully having early nights.

Is there anything else I can do over the next two day that will benefit me come Sunday?

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Perhaps a bit of walking maybe, but what you have already said sounds fine.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on? :d

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Short run (2-3miles?) with a few short bursts of speed? also, plenty of gentle stretching while you're watching the telly... especially if you're still aching :eek:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Try not to get to worried or tense....

On the day don't start too quickly...better to start slow and pick up pace and overtake others than to crash and burn at 5k!!

Good luck

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
My first 2 races, I took it easy for 2-3 days, and it seemed to do me some good, although I felt a bit rusty on the day. Last race I had a very easy run the day before (after an easy week mind you), and that seemed just the right preparation.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice folks. I have decided I will have a leisurly trot around my local footie pitch tomorrow morning to try and break in my new gel insoles, and possibly try the odd dash if the fancy takes me. After which I will relax and hopefully enjoy :)

Tally ho!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried them the other night and they felt odd. Kinda slippy. If the are not right tomorrow I will not use them come Sunday.

Oh, and SlowSteve... I will definitely be avoiding my local kebabery ;)

·
Registered
664 Posts
I know Steve's advice about not starting too fast is the sensible option. But I also thought I'd pass on my personal experience. I have been a very late starter to running, but having volunteered to take part with folk from work in the Edinburgh 10K in 2006 I took my training seriously and was well prepared. So my prep gave me confidence, anyway at the start I was beside a guy a fair bit younger than me, and a girl closer to my age but with a lot of running experience. We initally ran togehter, and I could feel the pace was a bit faster than my usual training had been, but I felt OK. Then as we passed 1k, 2k the girl commented on how fast we were going. I started to think I'm going to die soon, this is way above my norm. However although I did slow a bit (anybody who knows the Edinburgh route will realise everyone slows once you hit the hill in the park !), but nonetheless I was able to keep going at a reasonable pace. To my delight I finished in under 49 mins when I had put down 55 as my estimated time. I'll admit before the race my intentions were to start conservatively, but the mixture of adrenaline and running alongside my friends knocked that on the head, although with a good outcome for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I finished my first 10k a few weeks back and my main recommendation would be not to worry about the time. Having said that you can't help it and I was checking my watch all the time!
I ran way faster than any of my training runs and found the last 3k really really hard.

So if your target is just to finish then take it easy and if you get to 8k and you have loads left then pick up the pace.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hey, you probably won't see this now until after the event but I'm running the scottish gas 10K tomorrow too. Really looking forward to it. Also haven't run since Wed due to a slight knee niggle, felt ok on dog walk today so hopefully I'll beat my Great Edinburgh Run PB:) See you there.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey, you probably won't see this now until after the event but I'm running the scottish gas 10K tomorrow too. Really looking forward to it. Also haven't run since Wed due to a slight knee niggle, felt ok on dog walk today so hopefully I'll beat my Great Edinburgh Run PB:) See you there.

I'm looking forward to it too! I kinda hope the weather isn't great - overcast and a bit damp would suit me down to the ground.

Not sure you'll see this before then, but good luck beating your PB!!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well -

The 10k was good. I finished in 46' 36". When the race began the sun came out and it was hot! I found the going pretty good to begin for the first few K's and I'd settled into a nice pace for the first 6k.

From 7k onwards the heat started to get to me a bit and I was blowing very hard. My thighs felt a little heavy and it felt like I was going quite slow (I had no stop watch, so didn't have a clue how I was doing) so I tucked in behind a guy who had just overtaken me and I got a bit of a second wind after that, and despite the last 1k being up hill (with a fairly steep section that really took it out of me) I finished well.

Three weeks to go till the next one and I can't wait!

Thanks for all the advice so far folks, it's been a massive help :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts