Runners Forum banner

How may times in a week do you train twice a day?

• Never

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • Once

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Twice

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Three times

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Four times

• Five times

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Six times

• Seven times a week

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many times a week do you train twice a day? Would be interested to see what the guys at the front of the races are doing.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I trained twice a day a few times duing a schedule last year, I think it might have been for an ultra. It's in the back of my mind to take it up again, as i've got a few ultras this year...but I wouldn't do it if I wasn't in ultra training.

A few from our club used to do what they liked to call 'Mega Days'. This was running about 6 or 7 first thing in the morning, 13 - 16 at lunch time, and then 4 or 5 late afternoon!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
If you want to run big miles you need twice a day.
Mind you, one of my mates did 90-110 a week on one run a day!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I train twice a day a few days a week, but don't run twice a day. I cycle or swim for the other sessions as I'm training for an IM.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
I run twice a day when working on speed just before and during track season.
When doing the track sessions I try to keep the mileage down as they are very intense and so I compensate by running 6-8km at a moderate pace once or twice a week.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I used to train twice a day. I run every day (usually at lunch time) and I tried to get a couple of weights sessions in during the week, but found that I have no energy for them. Maybe it is that I have no motivation for them, I dunno. I agree with other posters that if you want to up the mileage most have to run twice a day. An easy 4 mile trot each morning can up your mileage by 20 - 30 miles a week depending on frequency.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Boab said:
I An easy 4 mile trot each morning can up your mileage by 20 - 30 miles a week depending on frequency.
... And it can improve your fitness quite dramatically if you're prepared to persist with a twice-a-day routine. :d It can be sheer hell when you first introduce an early morning run, but like running itself, it's something you will adapt to. ;)
When I'm fit and motivated (and the fitter I get, the more motivated I become... it just seems to "snowball") I do five days at twice-a-day. Early mornings are always very easy running, and I usually build up to 45/60 minutes for each of these. Evenings tend to be shorter and faster... often flat-out.

There's a simple formula you can use when first introduce these supplementary runs:
2 runs on 1 day for 1 week (in addition to your "normal" running).
2 runs on 2 days for 2 weeks. " " " "
3 runs on 3 days for 3 weeks... " " " " etc. Depending on how many days you want to run of course! :huh:

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
my one day of training twice includes cross training... (Sunday long run + football)

Once my body gets used to increased mileage i'll consider it though I may focus more or cross training to ensure decent overall fitness and work on ironing out muscle imbalances.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I think I've ran twice in one day only one or two times, and they were both short runs (4-6 miles). I try to run an average 20-30 miles per week in 4 or 5 sessions. To be honest, I don't think I'll ever really have the time or commitment to increase my training much beyond this. My goal is predominantly to stay fit, slim and happy. Not planning on doing any mega serious racing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts