Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've discovered a great way to improve my times when running, have a running buddy! My boyfriend decided to come with me tonight and surprised me by shooting off into the distance right from the start, of course I wanted to keep up so ran rather than jogged to try and catch up and managed to go a mile 30 seconds faster than usual. :)

We had a little race on the way back and egged each other on again with me being the winner I'm pleased to say! I've not had so much fun when running as this before! :d

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Nothing wrong with a bit of healthy competition! My gf really wants to come out running with me but is worried she'll hold me back. I've told her to come out with me on my easy runs to build up a bit of endurance - guess if she's serious she'll give it a go!

I've always gone out running alone and I think I might prefer it that way... it's my thinking time. I don't know if you're more likely to get abuse from street urchins on your todd tho :confused:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Went for my evening run today alone, as usual, and found myself approaching a gang of 'youths' about 14 years old. I did as I always do, as they were spread out across the decking (there's nowhere to run either side, just a river on one side and great big stingers on the other) blocking my way. "Excuse me please". The little darlings were clearly deaf, so I repeated "Excuse me please". I was still running and they didn't move, forcing me to stop and walk and squeeze my way between them. I was at that moment treated to a bycycle wheel rammed into my ankle and some reference to ramming something up my arse.
What lovely children. :mad: Spending the rest of my, now spoilt, run looking over my shoulder incase they followed me......I came across them on my way back and they blocked my way again. One of the larger thugs actually tried to square up to me and I barged past him advising him firmly to think carefully about touching me. Fortunately, he was a coward and backed off.

I expect their mother thinks they are lovely. Someone has to love them. She must be so proud of their good manners towards a lady runner. And what makes me angry is that shoving them off their bikes and straight into the river is not only what they deserve, but is what would have seen me in court and out of a job if I had of done. And them off scott free.

Street urchins ? hmm, I can think of other things to call them. I have now decided to allow them to bully me and change the route I love. And to also try and find a running partner which I won't like as I hate running with other people and prefer going alone.
Bring back national service please somebody. :evil:

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I remember posting a while back about running around a big city park and having some townies on bikes hit me over the back of the head as they overtook. They hit my gf as well and I hadn't realised because she fell into single file behind me. I was so livid when I found out - spent about half an hour driving around town afterwards looking for them ha!

It is a shame isn't it? We should be able to go out and enjoy a bit of a run in the open without little shits ruining the experience. You're absolutely right though, they're cowards. The courage it must take for a group of young lads to square up to a lone runner! I'd have been tempted to stick the nut on the biggest one but like you say... can land you in some trouble eh.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Unfortunately, you'll always meet these sort of people of your run. Don't let it spoil your run, as least you're doing something positive with your time.

I like running on my own, as it gives me time to switch my brain off. I run with a club midweek, so there are always people about before and after the run for a chat.

Running with other people is good too, especially on the long runs at the weekend.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm so sorry people have had bad experiences while out running, it hasnt happened to me.....yet. Though at times I am a little cautious and will walk rather than run initially if I see someone I dont like the look of. It's generally a good area where I live though of course there are the usual "youths" who spend their time outside in little gangs making themselves look important, luckily we have a community police officer who keeps them in check.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
We had a little race on the way back and egged each other on again with me being the winner I'm pleased to say! I've not had so much fun when running as this before! :d
That's more or less the way I started running. A group of us ran from our local Sports Centre, anything from 5 to 10 miles. After stretching we started off quite slowly, chatting and bantering. After about three miles it was starting to get more serious as the pace hotted up a bit. A couple of miles from home the faster runners had gone into the lead and after another mile it had developed into a race. It was all good fun and did me a power of good in those early days.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Running with others is the best way to train I reckon.

You just need to make sure he goes out with you on a regular basis now!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Running with others definately speeds you up... I've said it many times before - joining a club is one of the best things I've ever done to improve my running :)

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Running with others

I started running on my own then when my partner got into it, it was nice to have some company occassionally - and also i don't like faffing around with my watch (Garmin) when we are doing strides or a fast section on a training run, but as he is a gadget freak (aren't most guys) - he counts down when we are about to do this... only problem is when he races off a lot faster at that point and I can't see him to tell me when to stop!! :worried:

A few of us from the gym also meet up and run from the gym one evening - all different paces but eveyone is kept in site and the chatting makes the run go really quick!!

I enjoy early morning runs on my own - really nice dewwy, cool and quiet! I have to say also a good way of avoiding gangs of youths - previously mentioned as a problem - they are still tucked up in bed recovering from their white lightening in the park!!! (Do they still drink that?!)

Overall - I find a mixture of group, partner and solitary running - depends what mood i am in!! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts