Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
Planning to run the AAA 50k this August.
Would appreciate tips on training and diet for it.
Thanks!:)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
You shouldn't have too much problem moving up from marathon to 50k Steepler... What's the course like...hilly, flat?

I've done the Dartmoor Discovery a couple of times, which is about the same distance, but it's extremely hilly so I needed a lot of good quality hill work.

In training for Dartmoor I only ran more than marathon distance once, and that was 28 miles. Just like when you're training for a marathon you don't need to train the full distance...just get close to it fairly comfortably.

As for nutrition, it's similar to what you'd do in marathon training, plenty of carbs for the distance training, plenty of protein for muscle repair. Lots of water, get the right vits and iron... but i'm sure you know all this.

Also, if you don't already, it might be worth you taking echinacea regularly... it helps keep the immune system topped up for when you're working your body hard.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Echinacea definitely works... especially for us runners. With lots of mileage it's easy for your immune system to struggle a bit sometimes, echinacea gives it that extra boost so you're not so open to bugs and viruses

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doing 70 mpw at the moment but will be building towards 90+ over the next few weeks.
Got a few days at the expo for work this week then off to portugal for a training camp on Monday! Sun and runs.....nice!
I think the long run is the key. My mates at Crawley do 4hr runs when they are training for 100k's. I am looking for a regular run of 3hrs.
Should be fun!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trinity said:
You shouldn't have too much problem moving up from marathon to 50k Steepler... What's the course like...hilly, flat?

I've done the Dartmoor Discovery a couple of times, which is about the same distance, but it's extremely hilly so I needed a lot of good quality hill work.

In training for Dartmoor I only ran more than marathon distance once, and that was 28 miles. Just like when you're training for a marathon you don't need to train the full distance...just get close to it fairly comfortably.

As for nutrition, it's similar to what you'd do in marathon training, plenty of carbs for the distance training, plenty of protein for muscle repair. Lots of water, get the right vits and iron... but i'm sure you know all this.

Also, if you don't already, it might be worth you taking echinacea regularly... it helps keep the immune system topped up for when you're working your body hard.
Thanks Trinity.
The loop is just over 3k on a road course so pacing should be ok.
I take multivits and have tried echinecia in the past.
Are you doing London? If so what day are you registering? I could buy you a coffee!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
steepler said:
Thanks Trinity.
The loop is just over 3k on a road course so pacing should be ok.
I take multivits and have tried echinecia in the past.
Are you doing London? If so what day are you registering? I could buy you a coffee!

I have still not made the final decision re FLM, but my leg is feeling better every day so it's looking promising. I won't know for sure until I go out for an easy run on Friday, if there's no problems then I will run FLM.

I'll be at the expo whatever I decide because I'm going with someone else and I've got my hotel room booked.

I'll be there Friday afternoon and possibly Saturday.

What stand are you working at?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will be on the Jog Shop stand. Stand 295. I am there Thursday and Friday.
Look forward to meeting a fellow forumite!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts