Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those averse to a shameless self-congratulatory rant, please look away now. :embarrassed:

I DID IT !!! No, I really really did. On Saturday I ran over 10k (6.3 miles actually) in just under 1hr. :d:d

This is the first time ever in my 40+ years that I have run so far without stopping. I am sooo chuffed, and all this from a standing start of not being able to run more than 50 yards without medical support only 10 short weeks ago.

Got up Saturday morning and it was absolutely chucking it down, headed out and within 2 minutes I was drowned-rat like plodding along, and once getting into it, I really enjoyed running in the rain, so much so that when I got back I wasn't out of breath and felt fantastic. Even headed straight back out to walk my dogs for a warm down.

Only minor downer was at around the 4 mile mark I managed to reset my stopwatch therefore didn't get an accurate time but adding the two times it came in just under an hour so was there or thereabouts. Incidentally even this had a positive in the end as have now been promised a Garmin for my birthday in August from the kids- just need to work on getting the model number right ;), so an increase in pocket money may be required :p )

If there is anyone out there who is wondering whether they can be a runner (or plodder/jogger) then this proves that if I can do it then anyone can.

This running thing is great :d

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Fantastic Ascensis.

It was less than 2 years ago when I got to the 10k mark,and I felt as chuffed as you do now.

Enjoy the moment,you deserve it.

BTW.I love my Garmin 205. 305 If you want a heart rate monitor.

All the best,and well done.

Dave.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Great stuff. Not long since I got to 10k either.

Believe me, when you get that Garmin you will start obsessing over knocking the minutes and seconds off your times! :cool:

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Fantastic - simply fantastic, reading posts like this always puts a big smile on my face. Running is such a great sport and can lift emotions incredibly, you should definately be proud of what you've achieved and shout it from the rooftops :d

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well done ... you should be shouting from the roof tops ... I know I certainly will be when I run my first sub 1hr 10K ! :d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Great news keep up the good work and keeping on posting your fantastic progress :d

1 - 20 of 22 Posts