Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are peoples opinions on running when feeling under the weather with colds or flu?

Is it best to still train and try to 'sweat it out of you'?

Or

Is it best to rest up and wait until you feel better before training again?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I think the rule of thumb is if its a chest infection its best to rest and take a few days off running whilst you recover. There is a slight risk of complications like a viremia.

Its just a bit of a snotty nose and its relatively mild cold its ok to still train but take a hanky with you.

I would say if you feel really porrly best not to push yourself and take a few days off running.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
When you're ill, your body will be working overtime to kill whatever germs/infection etc you have. Hard training will be putting a strain on your body.

It's generally ill-advised to be training when feeling ill.

Although, if that were the case, I shouldn't have played rugby through most of December and January :d

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Fever = don't run (unless your body/soul tells you to, despite your condition)

Apart from that, it's good to go out there and "sweat it out of you" :)

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I started with a chesty cough and cold a couple of weeks before my last race and decided to run through it. It was a good way of sweating it out and getting rid of all the gunge the Robitussin had loosened (good job I was running on my own!). But, as Fulmar says, don't run with a temperature. And there's no way you can run with 'flu.
Cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts