Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:d Helo again

I think I am going to put myself in for a 13km half trail half road race. It's uphill cimbing about 776m following the path of a ski slope I think.

Was just wondering if you may have any tips for training for this event?! Last year the fastest lady finished in 1hr 16mins....so I'm looking at at least 2 hrs!

:confused:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
when i run uphill... i shorten my stride but try to keep the number of times my feet hit the ground the same...

if the hill is very steep then your sride length will be very short and you don't feel like your getting very far so it's very easy to try and push yourself too much at the start of a hill to try to counter this and make you go faster - but if you do this you'll probably lose steam near the end of a hill (and the last thing you want to do is stop on a hill and watch others overtake you in race !)...

the best thing you could do is run up hills over and over and over...

i've never done it myself but it is probably the best thing to make you better at long hill

you could run on a gradient on a treamil but this would be a shame to do as it's summer...

good luck !

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Specific hill rep training is great... it gives you strength and stamina to run hilly races well and flat races fast.

Another important tip to remember when running hills is to keep your head up. So many runners look down when they lean forward while running up hills. By looking down you are closing your airway making it harder for your body to get enough of the oxygen it needs to power up the hill.

so remember... head up...look forward...focus on something at the top

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have decided aginst the uphill race...but am gonna do some uphill work anyway as I want to start trail running. I went on a trail run with a few guys (who are used to the trails and very speedy)...found it really fun but very hard work - especially just walking up the mountain!! - need to work on that!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts