Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody do any other upper body training (weights, pushups situps etc.) between running (assuming you leave a day to recover between runs). Looking to bulk up a bit and put a stone on in muscle mass but just wondering the best way top go about this without inhibiting my recovery between runs.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I do a military style fitness course every monday. Its all round body fitness with press-ups, sit-ups, squats, sprints, hill-work etc etc. I find its great but I have to take a day off after it and even two days later when I go running, my legs feel weak or heavy. I also think that my shins are worse because of it but I wouldn't give it up as I'm getting a level of fitness that I don't get from just running.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I do two gym sessions a week, and include lower body work too. Currently I have deadlifts, squats and calf raises in my routine.

I wouldn't just do upper body in the gym. Doing the lower body excercises will help your running improve.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I do some light reps with weights, but mostly core strengthening excercises like crunches etc.

I alternate the workouts but do them after a run-which is a great warm up for the strengthening excercises.

One day do the free weights, the next do the sit ups/press ups, crunches etc.

Apart from stretching excercises ,I leave the leg workouts to the running that I do,
Squats are good though.

Mens fitness mag is good for ideas on complimentary workouts. also take a look at maximuscle.co.uk

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Mens fitness is a good magazine, as they cover a lot of fitness activities, not just going to the gym.

Core and abs excercises are good for runners - I do a different abs workout after each of my weights workouts.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I try to work on core muscles, though I find if I try and work leg muscles they just become shattered and fatigued when I come to do my next run. I don't tend to do any upper body workouts... I've kind of accepted the fact that i'll always have scrawny arms :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts