Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone managed to get their medical certificate signed for the UTMB? My doctor has refused saying he's never heard of it and therefore won't sign. My friends have gone to their doctors who said they were more than happy to sign and were glad to be seeing healthy people! I've tried booking in with them but they won't take on new patients even if it's a one off ... help!

I'm supposed to have this done and submitted by the end of May and I'm starting to get really worried now!

HELP! A bottle of wine and a huge thank you to the person who helps me sort this.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Have you tried showing your doc the website, or some brochures or something about the race?

Alternatively, could you just tell him to make a statement saying that you're basically fit, not likely to keel over in the near future?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
he doesnt have to have heard of it.... i have a similar form... my dcs have advised me to bring it in to see if they can just sign it.

most GPs seem to be happy to charge a fortune juts for a signature!

i also have a backup in the form of our occupational health dept who know more about my health than my GP ..... who will also sign it off.

having trouble with the ECG tho.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
ed_m said:
most GPs seem to be happy to charge a fortune just for a signature!
Celebrities in training :rolleyes: Ask the UTMB people whether a health form signed by Madonna or Alan Titchmarsh would work. Their opinion of your health will be just as accurate as many GPs', and it could save you a few quid :cool:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
have you ever been to the alps?

i'm amazed there is an ultramarathon over the alps...

i hope you have prepared a lot in mountain hiking and running at altitude because it is a lot different to ground level...

i've been to chamonix before and i took the cable car to the italian borders but i also had a very bad nosebleed whilst in the cable car, which kind of ruined the whole thing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Chamonix_Valley_Panorama.jpg

i was alright in the cable car... but afterwards when i had to walk up and down stairs i felt very light headed, my breathing was very shallow, i could barely walk and almost fainted...

so in my opinion runnning at such high altitudes is very dangerous as the oxygen levels are so low and it particularly dangerous as you will be running half of it in the dark and on dodgy mountain paths...

so a medical check prior to these events is essential as anything can happen...

should the worse happen and your GP was found to not carry out the appropriate then they could be held resonsible for medical neglience...

this is why they are careful...

you can be sure that the organisers of these ultramarathons will bear no responsiblity and make you sign disclaimer forms prior to the event...

good luck though !

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Revenged said:
i'm amazed there is an ultramarathon over the alps...
there are a few..... and they all sell out in hours :d

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still no joy...

Thanks for all of your help, unfortunately I'm still no closer to getting a signature. In reply to some of your comments - a general statement of health isn't enough, the UTMB have a specific form the doctor needs to sign. I've been to the Alps loads, I am aware of the risks of running at altitude and that a doctor would need to do a full physical before signing it off ... but where do I get that done?! I wouldn't expect them to sign without checking me over but I've not found anyone willing to do anything more than shake their head at the form!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
worst case is nuffield / bupa / private check up which is lots of money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've enquired about a private appointment, they've quoted £150, I just can't face paying that when the cost enter the race was LESS than that! :confused:

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
All I can say is WOW. How mad is this kind of race? I thought the 24 hour races in the lake district were pretty hardcore, but this is just insanity. I don't know why they ask for a medical certificate. If I were the organsers I would just ask participants to sign a disclaimer and let them risk their lives if they want.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
£150 isn't as bad as i expected.

where are you based ssssss ?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
JBBury said:
If I were the organsers I would just ask participants to sign a disclaimer and let them risk their lives if they want.
If you were the organisers you'd probably also do whatever the insurance company required! :p

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
ed_m said:
If you were the organisers you'd probably also do whatever the insurance company required! :p
If the organisers asked participants to sign a liability waiver, they wouldn't need insurance :p

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
JBBury said:
If the organisers asked participants to sign a liability waiver, they wouldn't need insurance :p
but they do..... and they do.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
ssslinky... i know 150 is alot compared to the entry cost but consider the hours of training, flights, transport, accomodation.

either that or you'll have to let it go this year :( can you defer ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I can’t believe it, that’s terrible! :eek: You could maybe get in touch with the organisers to get a delay for sending off your medical certificate, while you try and find a solution. Sorry that’s not much help though.!

In France a medical certificate is obligatory by law for every run, it has nothing to do with the organisers .You usually have a medical certificate from your doctor which covers you for a year ,then you have to renew it. It costs around 22 euros, and is not paid for by your medical insurance/the state. Kids even have to have one if their doing some sport, even swimming etc.

For Ultra marathons such as UTMB, a more complete medical has to be done because of the distance and difficulty. They’ve also introduced a system of points, whereby you have to show that you’ve ran a few long distance runs in the last couple of years in order to qualify for entry. This is to minimise the amount of inexperienced runners entering.

You won’t get away with anything less than what they ask you for! So that’s worth baring in mind if your ever going to France for a run.

I know a few guys running the UTMB this year, and some who have already ran it. Great adventure, really well organised run, apparently!
Good luck with that Sssslinky, hope you get it sorted!

UTMB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77Ah2W3HFnA

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
an ECG 99% of the time wont show anything anyway..... and what it usually shows is an enlarged left ventricle which is common in endurance athletes.. and often sends GPs into hissy fits.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Emails to nowhere...

Berry thanks for your sympathies, it is frustrating isn't it! I have emailed the organisers twice with absolutely no response. Think I've pretty much come to terms with not participating now :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts