Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post. I am new to running and although still slow, building up my endurance at a pleasing rate. I am vegan & have been for the last 15 years. I believe that my diet will be fine for running as it is high in carbohydrates. Anyone got any experience of running on a vegan diet over a period of time?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi Lil, welcome to the forum.

I'm not a vegan but if you check the rabbit thread you'll see I started a lot of controversy by asking about the diet!

Watch out for the rest of the rabbit thread, my bit was the least controversial by far:d

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forum lil :)

I've been vegetarian for just over 25 years and I can manage my diet quite well, even though I run long distance

Where do you get your protein from?
Your body will need more of the key nutrients as a runner to avoid illness and injury

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, and welcome to the forum lil :)

I've been vegetarian for just over 25 years and I can manage my diet quite well, even though I run long distance

Where do you get your protein from?
Your body will need more of the key nutrients as a runner to avoid illness and injury
Mainly from pulses, tofu & wholegrains. I eat hummus most days and get through a decent amount of soya milk & soya yoghurt. Can you suggest a website where I can get more information about the key nutrients a runner mainly needs and the relation between nutrition & injury?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Lil, welcome to the forum.

I'm not a vegan but if you check the rabbit thread you'll see I started a lot of controversy by asking about the diet!

Watch out for the rest of the rabbit thread, my bit was the least controversial by far:d
I looked at the rabbit thread and didn't see much about diet. It was probably more educational than anything else. And I thought this forum was about running! :embarrassed:

Just found a useful vegan thread from May this year.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I looked at the rabbit thread and didn't see much about diet. It was probably more educational than anything else. And I thought this forum was about running! :embarrassed:

Just found a useful vegan thread from May this year.
lol... erm, sorry bout that, it did start as a serious thread...honest ;)

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Carl Lewis was on a vegan diet at the height of his powers - admittedly he didn't run long distances, but he was a damn fine specimen of athletic prowess :d

I am "veganish" meaning I follow mainly a vegan diet, but occasionally eat cheese or cheese containing products - less and less often now, been vegetarian for 23 years.

I've not experienced any problems.

Vegan Runners UK

may be of some help :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi when i started running i was vegan and i found it no problem, i ate tofu 3 times a week, and had lots of TVP and would sprinkle nuts over the top of my meals like spaghetti bolognese for an extra boost, i also ate lots of spinach and fresh fruit.

I should say though that as my milage increased to 40 miles a week i felt my legs were aching and at times i felt weak so i supplemented my diet with protein shakes and also my wife invented some energy/protein bars that were made of nuts, seeds and dried fruit and covered in vegan chocolate, these were my treats after my long run. :lol:

the shakes were not vegan but they are vegetarian and i felt i needed them so after umming and aarring i decided to try it and it really helped .:happy:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hi lil welcome.

Do you find it hard finding running shoes that contain no leather? which ones do you wear?:d

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Hi lil welcome.

Do you find it hard finding running shoes that contain no leather? which ones do you wear?:d
Most, if not all, modern running shoes are not made of leather, they are synthetic. :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts