Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making my first trip to the Newport velodrome at the end of January. And having spotted a Genesis track bike in the sales I've decided to buy one to go on my turbo trainer (and take along on the day if I'm allowed). This is really just a way of gaining a competitive advantage over my colleagues. :D;) Some are more experienced road cyclists but virtually none have ridden a fixed wheel bike so I'm hoping to conquer that fear before I arrive!

I'll be doing sprint intervals on the turbo trainer all to get some specific fitness for it too. Use riding home as a gentle warm up. Gonna put the fitness to use in a couple of months by attacking a 2.2km off-road Strava segment on my ride home.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's rather smart looking. "They've" just finished (I think) building a velodrome next to the Derby Countys stadium. I cycle past it on my single speed mango bike http://www.mangobikes.co.uk/ on my way to and from work.

That's got a flip flop hub on it but I haven't dared use the fixed side yet. It's been a reliable cheap replacement for my lovely and sadly missed Trek hybrid that got tea leafed last year.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Nice looking bike Matt but when are you coming into the exciting world of triathlon ? Have you got any events planned yet ?

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I've only risen a fixed wheel bike once. Never ever again. The thing tried to kill me.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Basically you just wanted to say.. I BOUGHT A SHINY NEW BIKE!!!!!

Admit it ;)

·
Registered
3,232 Posts

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Used to love wizzing around on my old fixie, even used to rag the thing around central London .. :nuts: .. Such a lovely feeling once your used to it..

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice looking bike Matt but when are you coming into the exciting world of triathlon ? Have you got any events planned yet ?

I've booked the Olympic distance Bristol triathlon in June and the 113km middle distance Cotswold Classic in August. Between the two I have an 85 mile sportive in Newbury (Wiggle Magnificat). Need to book a sprint tri (or a novice) for April time. But before that I need to get into the pool and re-learn to swim! Then hit the lake once it's a little warmer.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the velodrome is about the most thrilling exercise I've ever done. Totally thrilling and made my legs hurt like nothing else when we did a solo 500m time trial (2 laps from a flying start). I placed 4th out of 15 in 37:23 only 00:16 behind 3rd. The top two guys were a good triathlete and a very good road cyclist. Surprisingly the latter actually came second. Can't wait to go again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts