Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1050 Posts

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would start a thread dedicated to all of us competing in VLM 2012.

My training started on the 5th of December and I'm 16 days into my base building phase.
first week was 96 miles from 12 runs, second week 93.5 from 10 runs and I'll continue at this level until my holiday on the 14th of Jan. After my holiday I'll start to incorporate speed work.

Legs are feeling very tired but no niggle/injuries.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I'll try and remember to report in with how my training is going - I would post a plan up but it's currently changing on a daily/weekly basis as I continue to build up to a respectable mileage whilst managing various niggles - the latest being some discomfort in the knee which developed during last night's run.

From mid November weekly mileage has built progressively:
30,45,60,78,70 (cut back week last week).

This week was due to be 85-90mi but abandoned this mornings run and don't think it'd be wise to bash out 13mi later on!

I suspect I'll start introducing quality work before I break 3 figures again.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm looking forward to readin how you both get on.

Are you aiming for any specific times, gents?
Sub 2.28 is the aim, but if truth be told I want sub 2.25.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
I'll be following with interest, I wish you guys an injury free journey to London.

I'll be watching so I'll keep an eye open for you both hear the front of the pack ;)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
My plan was thrown out the window somewhat with a hamstring injury - building slowly over last month without any problems - but won't be anywhere near where I want to be for week one of the 16-week plan (starts 2nd Jan).

All being well - will follow a bog-standard RW plan for sub-3 hours, but there are challenges ahead with the Swiss winter (took a tumble this morning in the snow) and my relative fitness going into the hardcore training.

Will start following that plan - but may amend depending on fitness. Worst case - set sights lower for London, but try to go into London indecent shape and then use that as a platform for a strong Automn marathon.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Just started my own 18 week programme. based heavily on the Jack Daniels running formula. Will aiming to top out around 70 miles a week.

Will be happy with a sub 3:10, but really want sub 3hrs.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I've been training now for about 16 weeks so far..

Initially it was about getting some speed in my legs and competing in some 10k's and the great south run. With those out of the way (64:40 at GSR and 36:14 for 10k) I'm now building the mileage up

At the moment I'm running 45-50 miles per week, thats about the max I am going to be able to do considering the way things are at work (pretty much 9am through to 9pm these days so squeeze in my runs at lunch, before work and one night at run club). I've got someone at the running club helping me with a bit of coaching each week and were aiming for quality instead of quantity.

The week generally consists of a easy recovery run on a Monday a steady 70min run on Tuesday at near marathon pace, run club intervals on Wednesday, easy 30-40min run on Thursday and a rest on Friday. The weekend is a tempo session for about 70-90 mins where I have blocks of marathon pace and 10k pace thrown in and then a slow run either cross country or on some hilly roads on a Sunday. I think the plan is to keep most of the sessions as they are now and build the sunday run up to 2 1/2 hrs or so.

Interesting that I've been set everything by time instead of miles, it's quite refreshing really!

Feeling good at the moment, keeping an eye on my left knee but so far it's holding up well, lots of glute exercises helping with that one. Also been doing lots of core exercises when possible and I've really noticed I can push my stride from the hips more and the legs are starting to turn over mush quicker because of it.

Considering this is my 3rd marathon and I have a PB of 3:28 so far I think I'm just going to keep going as I am and set myself a target in the new year (in other words , I'm keeping quiet about my target for now!)

Good luck everyone!

·
Registered
489 Posts
My training started on Monday with a rest day ;). Loosely going to follow P&D 55-70, would have liked to follow the upto 85, but realistically I don't think I have the time.

Mileage over the last few weeks has been 43, 46, 49, 58, 42 (ill for a couple of days).

Next couple of weeks will be sporadic, but will hopefully get the key runs in each week.

Going to run Gloucester Marathon in Jan as a training run (I did say loosely follow P&D ;) ) and then Bath HM in March to see where I am.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Eeeek! You're all a lot faster than me but anyway this is how my training looks.

I've regularly been running a LSR of 13 miles in around 2 hours with no problems so my base fitness is not too bad. I plan to start properly straight after Christmas where I'll take the LSR to 15 miles.

The thing is though, the plans I've looked at all start with a much shorter LSR. I'm looking to come in as close to 4hrs as possible so the idea is to get the LSRs up to 22 miles and then, when I'm comfortable with the distance, work on pace.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
The thing is though, the plans I've looked at all start with a much shorter LSR.
Sadly this is one of the main drawbacks of following a generic schedule - I would simply suggest carrying on training as you have been (increasing LSR slightly each week) until the schedule catches up with you!

Alternatively you could consider shortening your LSR's to tie in with the schedule but run them at marathon pace (rather than LSR pace?)... just a thought.

As for me... rested yesterday due to gammy knee - felt better this morning but rather than running into work thought I'd play it safe and cycle in - low and behold about halfway to work my knee starts hurting again - perhaps moreso than yesterday! :(( Bloody frustrating to be taking what seems to be like even more time off - but needs must - think I'll try some swimming (arms only) to maintain some kinda fitness and burn some kcals.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Good luck hitting your targets guys and girls :tup:

Sadly this is one of the main drawbacks of following a generic schedule - I would simply suggest carrying on training as you have been (increasing LSR slightly each week) until the schedule catches up with you!

Alternatively you could consider shortening your LSR's to tie in with the schedule but run them at marathon pace (rather than LSR pace?)... just a thought.

As for me... rested yesterday due to gammy knee - felt better this morning but rather than running into work thought I'd play it safe and cycle in - low and behold about halfway to work my knee starts hurting again - perhaps moreso than yesterday! :(( Bloody frustrating to be taking what seems to be like even more time off - but needs must - think I'll try some swimming (arms only) to maintain some kinda fitness and burn some kcals.
Sorry to hear of your injury woes, Rich. I don't think I recall you being particularly plagued by injury in the past, so let's hope this is a fleeting thing.

In the meantime you could always join our winter swim thread ;)

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I think I generally pick up at least one injury a year - I thought maybe taking an end of season break may help prevent it this year but if anything it's increased the number of niggles I've had!

*pootles on over to winter swim thread*

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I have to admire those that can run 50+ miles a week. Because I can only run on 4 consecutive days then nothing for 4 consecutive days I am finding it hard to fit in any sort of high mileage. That and silly little niggling injuries have stopped me doing more then a couple of runs a week recently.
One thing I have made sure is that I am doing my LSR each week and I am up to 9 miles now.

I plan on a 10 mile LSR by the end of the week which will see me hit my personal target of a 10 mile run by the end of December.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I think I generally pick up at least one injury a year - I thought maybe taking an end of season break may help prevent it this year but if anything it's increased the number of niggles I've had!

*pootles on over to winter swim thread*
Im hoping your getting your injury out of the way now and not in April! Hope it mends soon Richard :tup:

1 - 20 of 1050 Posts