Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i am running my first marathon on saturday in snowdonia , and have just read in a magazine that walking for 30secs every mile can reduce your overall finishing time any views or advice would be great

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I can't see how that would work. You would lose 13 minutes on the run, which you would have to make up by running at a pace 30 seconds per mile faster than you're used to for the run phases. I would think it better to just reduce your mile pace to one you can hold for the entire race. If this were really true, professional runners would walk bits of the race. But they don't, and neither should you :p

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
i think for a first marathon it kinda makes sense.. i spose its aimed to try and slow your pace down rather than going hell for leather for teh first few miles then crashing and burning.

i read that for some ultras the winners walk up most of the hills and then make up for it on the down side..

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think it would be more important to run it all, than what time you finish it. For the first marathon anyway.

If you stopped then I would think it would be harder to start again, and near the end, your walks would start to exceed the 30 seconds.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thnks for the advice, had every intention of trying to run all the way during snowdon on sat but the hills beat me, finally finished 4.41 totally shatered, but i,m now looking for my next marathon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts