Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I hear you are meant to have days off from running?

In that case would be ok to either walk outdoors or treadmill instead of running - am trying to make sure do at least 10000 steps a day to lose weight and stay active.

How many rest days are you meant to have?

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Number of rest days vary from schedule to schedule and depend on so many things such as how hard you're training, it's speed/intensity, quantity etc...

The main purpose of the rest days is to give your body a break from the stresses running places on the body. Walking should be alright, though full rest or a non-weight baring activity (such as cycling or swimming) would be better.

Not to say you can't get away with it at all - just perhaps try and make sure that your runs are fairly steady runs rather than all out efforts :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
This question was asked in RW mag this month. I was interested cos I walk an average of 4-5 miles each day just doing school run/nursery run etc and they said that walking was even better than all out resting cos you can count it as active recovery cos it gets the blood moving, transporting waste products out of the muscles and counts as low impact.

So you can count walking as rest days :d and still keep active and lose weight etc.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Blimey Granty... I play footy once a week and class it as a hard workout! I always finish a footy match so much more stiff muscled and worn out than when I do any speedwork, hill work or tempo runs!

I don't think I could hack your training schedule! lol!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
You need to see us play really to appreciate the sort of low key work out we get - played at a walking european pace, only getting excitable when there is a clear shot at goal. :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts