Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just trying to get back in shape a bit and improve on my 50min 10k time so some work to do!!! I have been going out doing a steady 40 mins or so every other night and i notice something a bit 'odd'. My body warms up nicely but i have noticed that my stomach remains pretty cold to the touch, is this anything anyone else has noted or has a reason for it.

I wonder if its due to diverted blood flow or something but it just feels odd.

thanks!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Welcome to the forum chewymix.

Couldn''t say if it is normal or not never actually noticed. :confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah its odd!

just back from a 5k and for the first couple of minutes stomach warm, tonight is a pretty warm night in wimbledon, then next time i checked it had gone cold! Must be blood flow i think.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
lol.... it's true! I checked mine tonight and it was quite cold to the touch... I think it's a combination of blood flow and the fact that your torsoe takes the brunt of the airflow while you run... maybe... :huh:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ha ha! brilliant, i have made everyone check themselves out while running :d

slightly annoyed though as i am currently sat with an ice pack on my ankle, rolled it turning a corner about 10 metres from my front door on a 'sprint' finish

typical

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Hi im another one whos always noticed this, mines always really cold to the touch, my top rides up when running (slightly) not all the way up i'll point out, and this must make it colder with the air right on it.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Checked myself last night, not too cold but alarmingly sweaty. - glad to report no belly button fluff was spotted ! :d

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
glad to say mine is very cold, although always covered by clothing, and not at all sweaty, untl finishing the run that is then it seems to let it all out :)

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Slightly off-topic, but Chewymix, i've always read that a 'sprint finish' is normally a pretty bad idea? Unless of course from there you go on to do a warm-down jog? Something to do with shocking the muscles at the last minute which intensifies the need to warm down (increasing the damage to the muscles if a proper warm-down isn't done)...

Not that I want to poke my nose in, I'd just hate to see a fellow runner suffer unecessarily!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Chewymix,

Odd thing the 'cold stomach' syndrome! I meet up with my running partner just once a week coz we run at different speeds. We usually talk all the way round, but also weight is a popular discussion, on comparing wobbly stomachs the other day (when no one was watching) we both noticed how cold and clamy they were, not ever run along feeling my stomach before....what's your excuse?

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I haven't noticed a cold stomach area but I have noticed that certain other areas get cold. I reckon it must be to do with blood flow.:embarrassed:

·
Registered
506 Posts
I did the 'cold stomach' test last night and, true to form, it was chilly and cool even in sweltering heat. In fact, it was quite sensual and the next thing I knew I was being carted off by the police in just my underpants. :d

Seriously though, I couldn't resist the cold stomach test and I'd never noticed it before. Must be something to do with the breeze hitting the stomach combined with the sweat on your shirt cooling down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When you work out and your stomach starts getting cold that means your body is using your stomach fat to create energy.

Cold Stomach = Good thing

You'll also notice it after doing an ab work out

Hope this helps

·
Registered
613 Posts
the answer: and not one that we like but this is my theory,

the areas where we carry fat do not warm up like the other parts of our body, like the flabby bits on our sides (girls call em muffin tops) i think its a blood flow thing, fat stays cold and the rest warms up nicely.
the cure: lose loads of weight and be skinny with a warm belly
the method: keep running non stop until your belly gets warm :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts