Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) What does your pre-race warm up look like?
2) How does it change depending on the race distance?

Curious to know what the perceived wisdom of the crowd on here looks like....

·
2,698 Posts
These days I usually do 2-3 miles starting around recovery pace and building to easy. It depends on how I'm feeling and the time I've got available though. I'll also throw in a few strides most of the time, 2-4 again depending on how I'm feeling.

The only exception is marathons. I might do a half-mile jog, although that's often difficult at bigger races, but otherwise I save every ounce of energy for the main event :lol:

·
Registered
811 Posts
If I warm up it's usually an easy run and some drills and maybe some strides. I don't really feel much need to warm up for races that are 10 miles or longer, though I will do sometimes.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
1) What does your pre-race warm up look like?
15-20 minutes very easy running + 2-4 strides

2) How does it change depending on the race distance?
It's the same for most distances.
I haven't run a Marathon in ages but I would run a bit less and go a bit slower in the strides.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
This is really interesting, I just turn up and run and then wonder why it takes me a mile or two to unwind and relax which for a 5k is a bit limiting :D

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
For races where I have pb'd (i.e. something must have worked) this is what I did:-

5K club pb - 1 mile jog/walk (8.45-10 pace, mixed jog/walk/chatting)

5K parkrun pb - 3 mile jog from home to start (8.20 pace)

10K pb - 1.5 mile jog (8.30-9.30 pace)

Half pb - 1 mile jog (7.50 pace)

Marathon - jogged up and down a few times, maybe 200m? Probably shouldn't have even done that in hindsight.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Normally a 5 min brisk walk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts