Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know a web site or have any suggestions on how best to warm up and stretch before a run? how long for? i do a few stretches but as am increasing length of run would like to know im doing all i can to avoid injury. thanks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I used to always do calf stretches before a run but lately I do not do any static stretches. All I do now is a slow half mile or so run and then pick up my pace. After the run, I spend 10 minutes doing the static stretches.

·
Registered
44 Posts
stretching before running can increase the risk of injury not decrease it (especially if you don't know what you are doing) by forcing cold muscles to work

Personally, I leave the stretching until afterwards

If you must stretch before get a good book like Michael Alters sports stretch

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yea, someone on here also mentioned that since not doing stretches before a run that their shins are a lot better. Thats why I've stopped doing it

·
Registered
298 Posts
intriathlete said:
Personally, I leave the stretching until afterwards
Ditto.....

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I'm terrible I don't stretch before or after sometimes walk a little afterwards but I've never suffered any ill effects.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I dont know if its relevent,

But the Marines dont do what i call "stress strecthing" any more apparently it can have a anethsic (again sorry for my spelling) affect on the body, and doesnt really 100% benifit you.

The technique they use now is by running in a circle, and doing various things on order. For example 1 - Jump up and head a imaginary ball, 2 - Right hand down, 3 - Left and down, etc etc.....so whilst we are all running around when the command gets called you do that particular motion.

Before i run, i do the same quick warm up.....yes on my own! Working up from my feet, then back down.

Then you can do your "strees strectching" strecthing if you so wish becasue the body has a good flow of oxygen, etc to its muscles.

I take a spinning class, and before we do anything i run through this routine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't stretch unless I'm doing speed work but I do run at a mile or two at an easy pace.

If I'm doing speed work I'll run a mile or two, stretch, do the speedwork, walk for a few minutes (usually I can hardly put one foot in front of the other afterwards) and then stretch again, partly to help me catch my breath and clear some lactic acid so that I can jog home, and partly because I know I'll be thankful for it the next day.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I've always done a brisk walk to warm up, then a few stretches to start with, and a brisk walk to cool down at the end, followed by lots of stretching.

I've never been sure that the stretches at the beginning have any effect, though, and I've tended only to do calf stretches more recently, as those are the tightest muscles.

Stretching at the end when your muscles are thoroughly warm, really does make a difference.

Interestingly, I've found that my legs stretch more easily after cycling than after running. I have no idea why. It's not as if I'm not working my legs hard when running - in fact they're usually more tired after a run than after a ride.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Stacka said:
I dont know if its relevent,

But the Marines dont do what i call "stress strecthing" any more apparently it can have a anethsic (again sorry for my spelling) affect on the body, and doesnt really 100% benifit you.

The technique they use now is by running in a circle, and doing various things on order. For example 1 - Jump up and head a imaginary ball, 2 - Right hand down, 3 - Left and down, etc etc.....so whilst we are all running around when the command gets called you do that particular motion.
Thats what we do when I do my military training every monday. Even though its a warm up, I find its actually quite an energetic routine. All that touching the floor with hands (and other body) parts is quite tiring.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
Bit of a jog to start and some static stretches to finish :)
That's about as much as I do too. Never been one for stretching too much.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Singularity said:
Thats what we do when I do my military training every monday. Even though its a warm up, I find its actually quite an energetic routine. All that touching the floor with hands (and other body) parts is quite tiring.
My TKD instructor gets us doing this when he's in a sadistic mood :mad: :d

It's so much more tiring than just jogging about a bit, or skipping. I'm not sure I could run far after a warm up like that though :eek: :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts