Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i warm down after running i tend to go on a 3-4 mile easy bike ride is this ok or not enough? I tend to get most of my aches post jog on the back of my legs/calfs

Cheers Gaz

·
Registered
664 Posts
Legs are of most importance, but since getting some back pain when I first started running, I've always included back stretches before and after running, never had a problem since, touch wood.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Gaz,
You should be looking to stetch the follwong muscle stretches:
Quads, calves, hamstrings, hips, glutes and possibly your lower back. Some people tense up around the kneck and shoulders when they run and if that applies to you you may need to stretch out these areas as well. Try and hold your stretches for between 15-30 seconds and don't bounce.

Having a bath after a hard session can also help ease out those sore muscles. Some peeps reckon a cold bath is best but I've never been brave enough to try it myself. I also treat my self to a sports massage once a month.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Gaz,
You should be looking to stetch the follwong muscle stretches:
Quads, calves, hamstrings, hips, glutes and possibly your lower back. Some people tense up around the kneck and shoulders when they run and if that applies to you you may need to stretch out these areas as well. Try and hold your stretches for between 15-30 seconds and don't bounce.

Having a bath after a hard session can also help ease out those sore muscles. Some peeps reckon a cold bath is best but I've never been brave enough to try it myself. I also treat my self to a sports massage once a month.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Stretching the calves out generally works for me (if I forget to do it I really suffer the next day) and then a nice hot shower.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Granty said:
Stretching the calves out generally works for me (if I forget to do it I really suffer the next day) and then a nice hot shower.
Only your calves you must be a masss of knotty muscles - never heard of the kinetic train??? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Steady Edwina said:
Only your calves you must be a masss of knotty muscles - never heard of the kinetic train??? :rolleyes:
No. Tell me more SE........

·
Registered
2,437 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
ooops did I say train I meant chain. Basically one muscle tightens and has a knock on affect to your others muscles. I had a really tight calf last month just before the Plymouth Half caused by tight hamstrings

1 - 13 of 13 Posts