Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What stretching/warm up routines would you advise before a race? I try and get a few strides in but was wondering if there is anything else you find beneficial.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I always jog for about 5 to 10 minutes, with some knee lifts and heel kicks...just enough to let your muscles know that you're going to be asking them to work soon ;)

I very rarely stretch before a race, unless my calves feel a bit tight. Always stretch after though.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I recall I broke PB once at a race where the start was a 10 minute jog from registration. Ever since then I've warmed up with a slow 10 min jog and some mild stretching - served me well so far.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
I stretch for some 5 minutes (the everyday routine), then run anything from 10' to 20' depending on how I feel and the temperature. I try to do some accelerations in the end to get the heart and lungs working at a close-to-race-rate.
If running on track (thus not too worried with getting to a good position on the starting line) I try to get 2 minutes to sit down, close my eyes and focus on the race ahead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts