Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so what do you do?

I normally have a bit of a slow plod for a minute or so, and add in a couple of sprints for a short race. Then for longer races I actually tend to do nothing and take the first mile easy-ish.

Today I thinik I learnt a big lesson for short races. I was doing a 5 mile race, did my usual plod for a couple of hundred yards, then lined up for the start. I blasted off (for me anyway) for the first mile. But had a sharp downfall in the second mile when my chest tightened up and I struggled to breathe. With it being such a short race you can't afford a slow mile, as you haven't got time to recover. I had to take my inhaler for the first time during a race.

I basically think I hadn't warmed up enough, and the first fast mile was a shock to my system, especially seeing as my training is geared up for longer/slower runs.

I'm now thinking that I probably needed a slow plod to last about 15-20 mins first, with some sprints in the last couple of mins as a warm up.

Does that sound about right? Anyone got any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
admin said:
For a five mile race I would definately advise a few spints before racing.
Are you tring to say 'Pints' Dan, if so I'd happily race with you (well, the warm up anyhow !!)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dan, so my idea of warming uyp probably isn't too far wrong I just need to do it for a little longer. Must put it into practise though, it's so easy to just stand around talking to people you know!

As for the running after pints, I've never raced, but have run home from the pub a few times. It either aids your ability to run fast for longer, or you just think you are running like Seb Coe!!
Although I had a nasty trip on a man hole cover running home and have quite a large scar on my chin. It was quite a mess for a few days afterwards, I didn't tell anyone I did it on the way back from the pub instead said that I'd tripped whilst out running in the woods! :d :embarrassed:

·
Registered
151 Posts
My routine is usually 10-15 minutes warm up, some dynamic stretching then a few strides at race pace.

Racing hungover is not a good idea.....I was still half cut at my XC at the weekend and suffered badly.

·
RunnersForum Founder
620 Posts
hammerite said:
Thanks Dan, so my idea of warming uyp probably isn't too far wrong I just need to do it for a little longer. Must put it into practise though, it's so easy to just stand around talking to people you know!

As for the running after pints, I've never raced, but have run home from the pub a few times. It either aids your ability to run fast for longer, or you just think you are running like Seb Coe!!
Although I had a nasty trip on a man hole cover running home and have quite a large scar on my chin. It was quite a mess for a few days afterwards, I didn't tell anyone I did it on the way back from the pub instead said that I'd tripped whilst out running in the woods! :d :embarrassed:
I left the pub one night with 4 friends and they wanted to get a taxi home (it was about a mile away :confused:). I decided I would run back and race the taxi and I nearly did it, reckon I would have done if I had my trainers on!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Warm up?!
What's that?!

Just kidding...I used to do a few stretches and then a 5min jog but nowadays my warmup consists of fewer stretches and a jog to the start. Of course I tell everyone else what they should do.... a case of do as I say not as I do!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts