Runners Forum banner

Watch/timer for newbie

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  richardsimkiss 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm totally new to the forum and to running and would like a bit of advice. I've started doing a "run /walk" programme (one from the Runners' World website) to try to build up some running fitness after not having run for 10 years.

At the moment i'm just using the second hand on my watch to time the intervals but that's obviously a bit of a pain so i want to get a watch that has timers i can set for both the run and walk intervals (so I think i'd need at least 2 timers) so it basically tells me when to start and stop. I'm not really fussed about much else at the moment (heart rate, speed etc) but looking ahead i suspect i might develop an interest in how far i've gone. With that in mind i wondered if it makes sense to get a "watch" that has the timer functions i need and also a distance measuring function or to buy a separate pedometer thing.

I didn't really want to spend over £30 initially (without the distance function) but i guess i'll have to to get both.

I really don't need anything fancy or computer compatible etc and wondered if anyone had any recommendations.

I've had a quick, slightly blind, hunt around the web and found a Timex Ironman 50 lap sleek for about £40 which has 2 timers and seems like it might do the trick without the distance function.

Also found one called a T5K093 Timex Ironman 50 Lap Fitness Tracker which seems to do distance, 5 timers and loads more (i can't attach a link yet but it's on "simply sports watches") but i can't find much info on it and if it does all it says for that price, seems like i must be missing something, perhaps that it's an additional item and you need to buy a watch separately.

I've never been much of a distance runner but am slightly starting to enjoy it; buying gadgets normally helps me with things like that! Any advice would be much appreciated.

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks Guys, nice "devil on one shoulder, angel on the other" double act! I'm sorely tepted to revert to type and buy the more expensive Garmin, but, with a baby on the way i really think i should be more sensible and go for the cheaper option (for which read "my pregnant and hormonal wife will not be happy"!).

Is there a particular model of Ironman that i should look for to make sure it has enough timers to do different run/rest periods?

Thanks again.

#10 ·
If you really just want the basics at this stage, then just go to a sports shop and you can pick up a stopwatch that will do what you want it to do for under £30 as others have suggested. I reckon you could maybe pick one up for a tenner. To measure the distances you are running etc, you don't need to buy anything fancy. Just measure out routes using something like Gmaps pedometer (type into Google and you'll get the site). This is free. Good luck with your running. You can always buy a Garmin later if you feel you want to measure more data, and they will become cheaper over time. And I recommend the 305 rather than the 405. It's a lot cheaper, does pretty much everything you want it to and has a better display. 405's are for people with an unhealthy obsession with fancy data ;)

#11 ·
Yeah but if he's doing run/walk technique (thats how I started out) he needs a watch that does intervals. Timex Ironman 50 just make sure it does intervals and its in a butch colour so you don't feel silly on a run.

#14 ·
Thanks everyone. I decided to go sensible and bought a Timex Ironman 50 for £32. If i find i'm enjoying the running i'll maybe think about treating myself to something more fancy for Christmas, gives me an extra incentive that way.

Can the Garmin 405 be used on a bike for speed and distance without any extras?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.