Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please excuse my ignorance but I'm a new (late) comer to running.

How important is it to drink water on the run? I'm running on average 35 - 45 mins but not taking bottled water as I find this cumbersome to carry.

Should I be drinking water during the run or even sports drinks?

Your advice would be appreciated!!!

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
On shorter runs you should be albe to cope well enough by hydrating correctly prior to setting off. If you are feeling particularly thirsty on your run then perhaps take a drink if not drink before and after and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I think that it is purely a matter of personal choice. For me I have only ever taken water in a race at a water station (and that has never been wholly successful!)

I've run quite a few 10 milers with no water at all and never had a problem.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
im the complete oposite..
i take water with me even if its a 30min trot round the block..having said that, im a fairly heavy sweater after about 10mins of running so i figure i need to replace what i loose as best as i can.

i ususally drink about 300ml on a 10k and 500ml+ on a 10mile

at the end of the day its personal choice i think.. ive always done it so would prob feel hindered if i didnt do it now

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'm the same, I always take water \ sports drink out with me except for my really short recovery runs.

I think part of it may be psychological, a bit like a comfort blanket, but again it probably does come down to personal choice and whatever works for you.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Me too, I always take water and I'm convinced it's psychological as I've yet to run more than 3 miles! Plus, at school the XC course was 6 miles and I never took water then and always came in top 3.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
also bear in mind that conditions, pre-run hydration levels and distance are all going to affect how much fluid you loose/ need

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Blimey Ali, sounds like you were quite the runner!

Mr Chuckle, it sounds like you've more or less answered your own question :) If you're managing your 35-45min runs at the moment without carrying water, then you've proved that you don't need it. It always pays to ensure you're well hydrated, as even mild dehydration can affect your running performance - which isn't really a problem when training, but quite important when racing!

For what it's worth, I won't drink if I'm training or racing under 10miles, 12/13+miles and I'll perhaps have a swig of water if it's available, but unless it's hot conditions and I'm sweating a lot, I don't feel I need a drink until somewhere around the 2hr mark.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I don't take any water on runs up to 10 miles. I did try it once on one of the hot days during the summer however, but 99% of time I don't bother. I always like the thought of getting in and having a large glass of cold water

·
Registered
131 Posts
i only take water with me if i'm planning to go beyond the 9 mile mark.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I sweat at the drop of a hat so this "summer" I've been taking a camel-pak out with me on all runs. But as winter comes into force then you'll find you need next to no water.

Off-topic but is anyone else looking forward to those winter runs in pitch black, feeling the cold air in your lungs, frost bitten hands and that wonderful feeling when you step back into your warm house?????

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
im the complete oposite..
i take water with me even if its a 30min trot round the block..having said that, im a fairly heavy sweater after about 10mins of running so i figure i need to replace what i loose as best as i can.

i ususally drink about 300ml on a 10k and 500ml+ on a 10mile

at the end of the day its personal choice i think.. ive always done it so would prob feel hindered if i didnt do it now
I'm not sure if I count as a heavy sweater, but I drink about the same as you on those distances - I take gatorade on 10 milers, just water on anything less (and nothing on anything less than 10k). Am sure it may be psychological but I just find it helps to have drink available.

·
Registered
835 Posts
.......Off-topic but is anyone else looking forward to those winter runs in pitch black, feeling the cold air in your lungs, frost bitten hands and that wonderful feeling when you step back into your warm house?????
Yeah.. no better feeling than sweating buckets in sub zero temperatures!

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I usually only take water on my long runs, which are usually around the 10-12mile mark. On shorter runs, I usually don't take any water unless its exceptionally hot.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Water

I think it depends on the runner, alot of people take water some dont bother, its how you feel, but if you are running for more than 30 minutes I would personally take some water along, I do anyway and I run in the middle of nowhere so need it incase of emergency!

I also take water on hot days what ever distance Ime running, can be dangerous if you dont
=]

·
Registered
28 Posts
the only time I take a drink is if I'm out for a run longer than an hour or if it is particularly hot, you shouldn't need any additional water for runs below 45mins really but if you do want to take some water on a short run, get one of those runners aid bottles shaped like a doughnut which aren't too cumbersome to carry

·
Registered
353 Posts
I only have a drink about 2 hours before a run or else I find I want to pee on route!!!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Just a note to anyone who's finds it annoying to carry a bottle around - try using a cheap (disposable) bottle, such as one you'd buy mineral water in - or an old lucozade sport bottle or something... when you're running & drinking, squash the bottle to dispel any air before putting the lid back on.

Okay so you'll be running carrying a funny shaped bottle, but it means you're just carrying a solid lump rather than having liquid sloshing around inside the bottle, making it more of a pain to carry ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts