Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had slowly built up to 21km from regular 12km runs, I increased about 1-2km per week for 4weeks then had an easier week, then started again. At 18km I felt great after the run and the next week was a normal training week. But after the 21km I have spent 2 weeks barely able too run. I felt uncoordinated and weak in a CV sense and a musculature sense. I literally couldn't finish 5km without stopping for a breather. Only this week, week 3 have I began to feel better, I ran 12km on Sunday but was completely ruined afterwards.

Is this a normal thing to happen, it doesn't make me confident for extending runs longer than 21km in the future.

The main thing that doesn't add up to me is the fact I could feel so good after 19km but wasted after 21km, unless its a case of accumulated fatigue?

Would love to hear from more experienced distance runners who could offer some advise.

Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah, sounds totally normal as you body adjusts to longer distances and increased loads. Most plans have shorter weeks to allow your body to recover a bit.

I am averaging about 65 miles a week just now and my Monday rest day is often a wipe out.

G

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts