Runners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 8498 Posts

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
O - try shaking things up a little. I don't mean on a trampoline. Your body has got used to being fuelled in a certain way and has got used to being exercised in a certain way.

For a week - eat differently, train differently. Just change it about so your body has to adjust. Then go back to what you were doing before.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I'd agree with Carl, shake things up a bit... it's certainly what I plan to do over the coming months in an attempt to shift the weight. 50-60mile weeks didn't shift the excess so I'm guessing/hoping the system needs a darn good shocking.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
That's a very good suggestion by Carl, one's body does get used to habits in eating and exercising. (Hence why my trainer refuses to let me do any set of exercises for more than a few weeks before changing them).

As for dinner, no need to eat different, just eat less of it, and something more at lunchtime to balance that out. It means your body can process the (soon to be smaller?) amount of fuel it takes on board before you sleep.

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
So when you say shake it up, maybe do a speed session on a Monday at lunchtime instead of a 6 mile run? Tuesday do the long run with the club, Wednesday slow run at lunch time or maybe even a long run at night, Thursday speed session with club and another speed session on a Friday rest Saturday and Sunday?
Open to suggestions from anyone :)

Not sure if this was what this thread was for as I feel like Im hijacking it a bit.....

O.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Get on the speed intervals, supposed to really torch the fat and will certainly shock the system.

I've been acquiring some unexpected flab for no reason recently so have started the speed intervals, hopefully it'll work! Quads are certainly feeling it

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a different opinion on that.
No exercises or faster runs or shocking changes will help, if we don't learn how to count our calories.
If you burn every day 3000calories including running and you eating 3500cal what you expect that the results will be,to loose weight?
First we learn what our daily calories needs are.
For example mine is 2300 when not running, 2800 when i run a 5k.
So to loose weight i will need to eat around 2000-2100cal in the not running days.
In the running days to loose weight i will need to eat around 2400-2600cal.
(Try not to reduce your calories significantly lower than normal amount, it puts the bodies into shock/emergency)

After that you can take a paper, a pen and write down exactly what you are eating or drinking with the right measurements.
Later you can count the calories from each day.You will be surprised how many calories we consume more than we need.In the first few days it will be frustrate but later you will learn to count your calories in seconds.

Breakfast :
50 grams of porridge 166cal, 200 ml milk 130cal, 2 teaspoon honey 40cal, 2 Toast 100cal
160cal+130cal+20cal+200cal=510cal

For example if my breakfast have 510cal,then 2300-510=1790cal left for the day.

So i can split that for another 3 or 4 meals if i like.Usually the last meal in the night i try not to exceed the 300cal

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Right, closed for this week. New members may join on a wednesday.

Please post your current weight on a wednesday and I will endeavour to update by the end of the day.

Good luck everyone, and before you reach for that extra biscuit remember: The world is watching :d

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I have a different opinion on that.
No exercises or faster runs or shocking changes will help, if we don't learn how to count our calories.
If you burn every day 3000calories including running and you eating 3500cal what you expect that the results will be,to loose weight?
First we learn what our daily calories needs are.
For example mine is 2300 when not running, 2800 when i run a 5k.
So to loose weight i will need to eat around 2000-2100cal in the not running days.
In the running days to loose weight i will need to eat around 2400-2600cal.
(Try not to reduce your calories significantly lower than normal amount, it puts the bodies into shock/emergency)

After that you can take a paper, a pen and write down exactly what you are eating or drinking with the right measurements.
Later you can count the calories from each day.You will be surprised how many calories we consume more than we need.In the first few days it will be frustrate but later you will learn to count your calories in seconds.

Breakfast :
50 grams of porridge 166cal, 200 ml milk 130cal, 2 teaspoon honey 40cal, 2 Toast 100cal
160cal+130cal+20cal+200cal=510cal

For example if my breakfast have 510cal,then 2300-510=1790cal left for the day.

So i can split that for another 3 or 4 meals if i like.Usually the last meal in the night i try not to exceed the 300cal
But do we know how much we NEED? Granted, we can plug figures into calorie a calorie requirement calculator, but what does that little computer program know about the body of the person using it? Unless one gets a medical test, one doesn't really know how much one really needs.

I think there is plenty of research to suggest that the body sometimes needs to be taken out of its comfort zone. Unless, of course, THE primary goal is losing WEIGHT, regardless of what is being lost, muscle or fat. If you run at the same pace for a prolonged period of time (not an expert so don't know the exact figures) your body goes into a steady state and starts breaking down muscle.

Feel free to shoot me down if I'm wrong though!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree with you G1.Each person is different and no calculator can figures 100% the calories we need.Is like the BMI or heart beat guides.They just give us a basic guide.We cannot trust them completely.The same goes with the calories calculators.If we use them as a basic guide mostly for people they never count their foods energy we need to adjust the calories on how do our bodies react/feel.
Like today maybe i will burn 2300 cal,tomorrow maybe i will burn 2200,depends on how active i am.How a calculator can figure that?With time and practice someone can understand what his body needs.
Also there is so many others variation to think about.
Metabolic rates(thyroids hormones),food nutrition ratio(carbs, protein,fat),the time we eat between each meal,and so may other factors.

Unless, of course, THE primary goal is losing WEIGHT, regardless of what is being lost, muscle or fat. If you run at the same pace for a prolonged period of time (not an expert so don't know the exact figures) your body goes into a steady state and starts breaking down muscle.
Is not so general.To build speed and loose weight without loosing muscle for some people is impossible.For example if myself, want to loose weight i have to sacrifice some muscles because i am 200lbs and i have 12% bodyfat.So i need to decide whats more important for me and change my diet and exercises according to that.
If your goal is only to loose fat not muscle and speed/running is not important to you then a good basic food nutrition ratio is a 35%protein 55%carbs 10%fat
A good exercise for loosing fat whether is running,swimming,etc is to keep the intensity low without heavy breathing for at least 25min-90min.This way we using as a fuel the fat deposits from our bodies.

There so many variables,modifications to talk about

ps i am not an expert or a doctor :rolleyes: just from my experience as a bodybuilder (Win a few titles) :cool:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Hardly drink at all, don't drink sports drinks unless after a race, started to reduce dinner sizes, taking left over for lunch the next day :)

O.
Hey Owain,

I concentrated on my own advice again yesterday and didn't really have dinner at all. Had brekky (porridge), lunch (2 fresh, home-made, pork and veggie wraps), another porridge at about 4 o'clock (a few hours ahead of my evening run) and just nibbled when I got back, hardly ate at all.

I reckon about 2300 calories total - Wednesday Weight Club here I come! :)

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
Well today I have had 2 weetabix which according to the packet that is 125 cals, (if I remember correctly) and now just drinking water until I have my pasta for lunch. No idea what I will have for dinner yet....

O.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thats just typical, as soon as I mention losing weight I put on 2lbs Arghhhhhhhhhhhh

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
BipBip - agreed. I don't know enough to go into a lot of depth and can only speak from personal experience. When I was running a lot (60 minutes *4 times a week) I was pretty thin and my legs definitely lost muscle mass. I then had a period of a few months where I eased off and more recently I've been doing, maybe, 55:45 cardio to gym ratio, and mixing cardio up; longer runs (45-60 mins), intervals, biking, and I've noticed more upper leg muscle and more useless flab around my hips/waist.

I want one of those tests which tell you how many calories you burn whilst doing absolutely nothing!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is not unusual to get more fat even if you doing running/biking/aerobic...or whatever exercises and you don't keep your diet in control.Even if you don't train and sleep all day you can still loose weight.All depends like Hrun said:
in the end of the day if calories in is more than calories out you will not lose weight
About the test, you mean the BMR (basal metabolic rate) ?.There are many online.You can use the formula or the calculator on this site

21 - 40 of 8498 Posts