Registered
1,889 Posts
I try and do 5 times a week. most of the time i do :) sometimes 6 even

Not this week though

Had two days off already :(

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I do try to do 5 days,but 4 is more usual.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I try to do 4 or more but lately I'm struggling to do 2. Dark evenings, clocks changing, rain, flippin freezing, Emmerdale, ...it's all gone to :asleep:

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Jason said:
Emmerdale, ...:
This is a reason for going out in the worst of the weather Jason.......:d

·
Registered
813 Posts
4 or 5, but have had a few slack weeks. Entered Reading Half March 2nd so need to get my arse in gear! perhaps Dave could be my personal trainer!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
mostly do 4 but do try to do 5, but if I am training will do 5 - 6

although lately have been a bit of a slacker.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts

During (and just before) track season I may go up to 9 runs.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
The best improvements in my running performances occurred in the period after I began introducing a morning run into my regime (I was 20/21 at the time). This began as just a couple of extra, very easy morning runs each week (2 or 3 miles), in addition to all of the harder stuff done in the evenings... Eventually building up to 5 or 6 miles every week-day morning. Just very basic, gentle running. I'll never forget the "sudden" startling transition which took me to the "sharp end" of races. This is why I still do so many runs each week: I know that just once a day doesn't allow me to get the best out of myself... Even now, when that "sharp end" is disappearing over the horizon ahead of me! :(

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Did you build up to 14 runs a week?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Fulmar said:
Did you build up to 14 runs a week?
I may have done 14 occasionally, but that wouldn't have been a straight 2-a-day scenario... sometimes I'd have a couple of 3-run-days*. But the "norm" would've been twice a day Monday to Friday, with once on Saturday and Sunday. VERY occasionally twice on a Saturday when work dictated.

* These days would be:
1) early morning run.
2) Late afternoon run home from work.
3) Evening club session.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Hmmm :huh:
I want to start feeling that huge improvment that come with two-a-days...
Should I start with 2 5Ks a week (on top of the rest)?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Fulmar said:
Hmmm :huh:
I want to start feeling that huge improvment that come with two-a-days...
Should I start with 2 5Ks a week (on top of the rest)?
Many years after I first employed "2-or-more-run-days" I came across some basic guidelines for the introduction of such an approach:
2 runs on 2 days for 2 weeks, following on with...
2 runs on 3 days for 3 weeks... and so on.
Obviously only you can determine when and where these additions are placed with respect to your other training.
I doubt if there was much structure to the way I started out down this road. I've never really followed any plans at all.
Run hard.
Run often.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Thank you :)
But now... going back to your penultimate line...
Ever since I started running people tell me I trained too fast.
I went through 3 months of running withour one single run slower than 4'00''/Km (something like 6'27''/mile).
No reps, no hills. I was just running through the Polish Winter.
And I felt good, felt strong. Never had a chance, during that time, to test myself in a race...
Training for the marathon has taught me to run slower (here I think it's necessary).

But now, going back to the track... What should I do?
Run hard?
Like many good runners, run easy on longer-run days and run very hard on reps/hill days?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Fulmar said:
But now, going back to the track... What should I do?
Run hard?
Like many good runners, run easy on longer-run days and run very hard on reps/hill days?
I'm afraid I rarely trained on the track. :embarrassed: It was just a convenience thing with me. All I used to do was run to work and back. Quite often the runs home (5 miles being the shortest route during my peak period) would all be flat-out. I'd literally time-trial every day from mon.-fri... attempting to beat the previous day's time on each run. Track training just didn't "fit in" to my schedule.
I managed a 3-54 1500m/1-57 800m without setting foot on a track in training. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts