Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Friday - Rest
Saturday - Cupar 5 mile road race, followed by 5 miles very easy.
Sunday - early doors 14 miles steady (wife permitting), then jetting off to Morzine/Avoriaz for a weeks snowboarding!:d

·
Registered
244 Posts
Injured so nothing for me. Although I may try a swim or a very slow/easy cycle ride, actually now I think of it we're hiring a carpet cleaner so no doubt that will be hard work!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
PB for me

This Saturday I'm helping out marshalling at BPTT

Then Sunday I'll be aiming for sub-1:38:10 at MK Half - I really really really really really want this PB. Shame about the weather forecast but I'm going to go for it.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
It's marathon time!! :)

Pasta party...all you can eat for £1 at Ikea on Friday evening :p
Driving down to Cornwall on Saturday afternoon

Then I'll be at the start line of the Duchy marathon on Sunday morning and hopefully somewhere near the finish line 3 hours and 45 minutes later...

Although the weather conditions don't look good for my asthma so it might be just a 'sub 4'

I'll report back on Monday

Have a good weekend running and racing guys :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Good luck to H, Trinity, BB and anyone else racing.

For me, rest on Friday, 4 miles very easy (no BPTT) on Saturday, and 20 miles on Sunday.

·
RunnersForum Founder
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trinity said:
It's marathon time!! :)

Pasta party...all you can eat for £1 at Ikea on Friday evening :p
Driving down to Cornwall on Saturday afternoon

Then I'll be at the start line of the Duchy marathon on Sunday morning and hopefully somewhere near the finish line 3 hours and 45 minutes later...

Although the weather conditions don't look good for my asthma so it might be just a 'sub 4'

I'll report back on Monday

Have a good weekend running and racing guys :)
Best of luck on Sunday Trinity, let us know how you get on!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hope everyone's racing this weekend brings them the PBs they richly deserve.

I'm going to try for a longish run of about 8 miles; I'm gradually building up the mileage in preparation for the Plymouth Half, where I'd dearly love to get under 2 hours!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Greg said:
Tell us more.
1:36:52 - so 1:20 inside my PB time. Also got a new 10 mile PB along the way... The really good news is that I can see where there's more time to knock off :)

Still don't really understand this running lark though - the previous week's runs had felt like really hard work at 9, 10 and 11 minute miling, yet the race felt good at an average of 7:24 per mile.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Well done! Good to see people getting PB's!
Hastings was a disaster for me. Back was sore at the start and got worse.
Went through 6 miles on course for sub 1.30 then seized up. Ended up jog/walking the second half.
Finished in 1.43. Not a happy bunny. Was in agony by the end. Will get a massage today and sort it out. Doing the Seaford half in May as a back up race.

·
Registered
244 Posts
well done with all the PB's.

Sorry the wheels fell off for your race Steepler. Same happened to me last week, I seem to be on a rotation basis, one good half, one bad half etc.....

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
It was a cold, damp and windy day in Cornwall for the Duchy marathon.
The plan was an 8.30 min/mile pace to finish in approx 3.44, but the conditions weren't good for my asthma so I was keeping an open mind.

I got into a fairly comfortable pace and I tried to keep it that way for all of the first lap so I could work out what I would need to do in the second lap when it was likely to start hurting a bit more.

Just before the 8 mile marker there was a sharp left hand bend where you went straight up a hill into a strong headwind. That was also going to be the 20 mile marker on the second lap so I thought to myself that could be interesting!

I went through my usual 'bad patch' at 16ish, although it didn't last as long as usual, which was encouraging.

As we approached the sharp left hand bend on the second lap I was mentally prepared. Sure enough the wind was even stronger than it had been on the first lap, and the hill felt steeper! But I maintained pace as much as I could and began overtaking.

When we got to the top, I took a gel and prepared myself for the next climb, which was much longer. At the top of that climb I knew that I only had mild undulations left in the last 3 or so miles so just kept pushing on.

With 2 miles to go, and still overtaking people, it was into the headwind again. There was a couple of short inclines but the wind was so strong that my quads were burning with what I was asking them to do, which at that stage was not a good sign, so I took a very brief walk break to settle them down while I had a drink and then picked it up again.

I had a couple of runners in target...male and female, but they kept the pace up and it was a struggle to catch them. Inside the last mile I caught up and tucked in behind, then when I was confident that I had enough of a finish in me I overtook... I heard her gasp and he said "Where did she come from!" ;)

Another couple of bends and then an uphill to the finish line! I've since looked at the results and I must have overtaken about 20 runners in the last 6 miles.

My finish time was 3.42.49, which is just 2 minutes outside my PB, and that was set on a flat course (Abingdon) in good conditions.

Even better I got the prize for 2nd LV40! :d

Next race....3 weeks time is Oakley 20, and then FLM

·
Registered
419 Posts
Wow!

Amazing Trinity!

Well done!

With that behind you, FLM is looking very interesting.

How did you do that walk thing? In the 3 marathons I've tried, both times I've walked it's been a serious problem - as once I've stopped running once then I found it really hard to restart and then really easy to stop again...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts