Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I’ve only been running for around 3 years regularly . Unfortunately about a year ago I started getting knee pain in my right knee. I’ve been to the physio which helps . I was told to strengthen my quads and use foam roller . I was also told I have chondromalacia. I’m 6ft 2 and weight about 93kg. I use to lift weights so I have some muscle. I’d like to get to around 85kg or even 83kg. Do you think this would help reduce the aches a little ? It only really affects me going up the stairs . Also I tend to run on concrete. Should I use treadmill more when gyms are back open? My best 5k is 21.58 and 10k 56 mins.

·
Registered
958 Posts
As posted on another thread, when I had knee problems I bit the bullet and had a gait analysis done and got some different trainers. I didn't have any knee problems after that (when I was running of course). Don't know if that did the trick, but it was a coincidence...

Sure you've got the right trainers?

·
Registered
29 Posts
My suggestion every time I hear of knee pain is to use a foam roller on the thigh, treat it as if it is an ITB issue (Google that) even if its not. You can't go wrong rolling the outer thigh, except it is a bit painful!

21.58 for 5k is fairly quick. 56.00 for a 10k is not. Sounds like you are trying to hard and have not developed an aerobic base. Generally you should run much slower, for longer. So slow you dont get out of breath.

Occasionally I get knee pain during a run. Its invariably becuase I have increased my weekly distance too quickly. Foam roller on outer thigh always solves it for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My suggestion every time I hear of knee pain is to use a foam roller on the thigh, treat it as if it is an ITB issue (Google that) even if its not. You can't go wrong rolling the outer thigh, except it is a bit painful!

21.58 for 5k is fairly quick. 56.00 for a 10k is not. Sounds like you are trying to hard and have not developed an aerobic base. Generally you should run much slower, for longer. So slow you dont get out of breath.

Occasionally I get knee pain during a run. Its invariably becuase I have increased my weekly distance too quickly. Foam roller on outer thigh always solves it for me.
Thanks . I meant 46 mins. Although at the moment I could only manage around 50min 10k. I do have a foam roller and know it helps but it’s pretty uncomfortable to do. I don’t really get the logic of how running slowly prepares your for running full pelt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts