Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned in another thread, our coach informed me that I'm a little 'chunky' for a runner and as my times are reflecting this I'm trying to drop a stone in weight.

So from today, I've cut out crisps with my sandwiches at lunch time, vowed to eat fruit instead of a chocolate bar and after my tea (dinner to non-northerners!), have nothing until breakfast time the next morning. It's difficult when you're used to munching a few biscuits with a brew whilst watching telly but I've done it before and it works a treat.

I'm interested to know other members' methods for shedding a few pounds.

Regards

A. :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
andrew_n said:
As I mentioned in another thread, our coach informed me that I'm a little 'chunky' for a runner and as my times are reflecting this I'm trying to drop a stone in weight.

So from today, I've cut out crisps with my sandwiches at lunch time, vowed to eat fruit instead of a chocolate bar and after my tea (dinner to non-northerners!), have nothing until breakfast time the next morning. It's difficult when you're used to munching a few biscuits with a brew whilst watching telly but I've done it before and it works a treat.

I'm interested to know other members' methods for shedding a few pounds.

Regards

A. :)
Almost the opposite to you! I cut out the sandwiches and have just a bag of crisps to accompany yet another orange! I have a dinner as near to 7.00pm as is practical. I do have a few snacks in the evening, but try and limit it to crackers or similar with a little butter and cheese to make them palatable. Bread & Pastry is almost non existent these days.

Alcohol as and when (evenings only) and a bowl of muesli to start the day. Tea like alcohol is as and when, but the amount of fruit I eat means that the need for refreshment isn't what it used to be. I've found this works well for me, but may well not suit others.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I lost 3 stones pretty quickly, perhaps over a year, when I started running, and I was only running twice in the week and then a run on Sunday. My mid-week runs were usually no more than 3 miles and my Sunday run gradually increased as time went on. I never raced, it was just for fitness really, but it was regular and I never missed a running day. What I did do was drop cheese altogether (I used to eat a block a week!), so I stopped buying it. Bowl of branflakes for breakfast. I sacked crisps with my lunchtime tuna sandwich and had a large banana instead. I've never had much of a sweet tooth so biscuits and chocolate were never an issue. I still had a few beers in the week though and still ate the odd takeaway at weekends after the pub. That was around 2001 when my weight dropped off and I've managed to keep my weight right down through running regularly since. Looking back, I did have to put that bit of effort in to shed the pounds, at least for the first 6-8 months - - I used to look at labels on food and anything with more than 5g of fat per 100g was out the window (a tip from a girl at work) and that did the business for me. Nowadays, I don't really pay much attention to what I eat as I've found a happy medium and enjoy eating pretty much what I want and I fully understand that running is the best way to keep the pounds off.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Mines a weird one... I've lost 3stone since I started running, but have hovered around the 12st 7lbs to 12st 13lbs for probably over half a year now, regardless of what I've tried it seems to stay around the same. Recently I've started to keep a food diary (when I remember anyhow), at first it showed up that since Christmas I'd been cutting probably far too may calories out my diet each day (usually a defecit of over 1200), I'm not sure myself but hope there is/was some truth in the concept of the body going into 'starvation mode' with this level of calorie defecit and therefore hanging onto body fat. I now try and maintain a daily defecit of around 500 (though this can seeemingly vary a lot depending on what sport I'm doing that day).

In saying that though this morning I weighed myself (after 'dropping the kids off at the pool' may I add :p) at 12st 6lb... so maybe I'm going to break through the dreaded 12st 7lb barrier and carry on losing!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yes, Steve,
I know I could be probably a half a stone lighter if I abstained from the demon drink. I do drink quite a bit, perhaps a few cans on an evening or a bottle of wine. Every few weeks I'll have a clean run of 3-4 days where I won't drink absolutely anything but I do like a tipple to relax.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Even though I'm Marathon training I'm still managing to pack away a decent number of pints a week (Can I claim it as carbo loading?!).

So I'm probably only slightly lighter than when I started. Packing up the booze for a few weeks is definitely the best way to lose weight if you like tipple. Other than that it's just avoiding the obvious, mars bars, crisps etc.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Remember to not put junk food in your shopping trolley in the first place. I, for one, have been known to eat a whole packet of biscuits in front of the TV, post exercise. This is not possible if there are none in the house.

Beer gives me the munchies, so that is to be avoided too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts