Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
Bit of a lardy boy at the moment. Was 10st in my prime but running at 11 1/2 these days!
Any fab tips for shifting the excess chubbiness?
Ta!:)

·
Registered
220 Posts
steepler said:
Hi all!
Bit of a lardy boy at the moment. Was 10st in my prime but running at 11 1/2 these days!
Any fab tips for shifting the excess chubbiness?
Ta!:)
The one which comes up again and again is loooong (90 mins +) sloooow (<70% HR) runs. Running burns about 100+ calories per mile, so with normal food intake, it shouldbn;t take long to lose fat. However, in the first few weeks, you might be converting fat into muscle, so not lose a lot of weight, but you should still see your body shape change.

·
Registered
110 Posts
And the other obvious stuff...

Switch the crisps and chocolate for fruit.
Cut down on alcohol intake
Eat fresh - keep away from the ready meals (too many saturated fats)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm in the same boat Steepler. I've lost 2kgs recently just by eating more sensibly a lot more fruit (eat a lot of fresh veg anyway) instead of hob0nobs, reducing the alcohol and taking slower steady runs. I did lose 3kg in a week but realised that it was more a fluid loss than real weight so be careful not to dehydrate. Also started yoga to give a bit of core strength and to turn beer belly into flatter belly, 6 pack is a long way off.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Don't cut down too much or your metabolic rate will drop and you won't lose weight (the problem with most 'dieters' who yoyo all the time).

Eat a bit less and do more training. I've lost a couple of kilos while eating loads because I've upped my training (triathlon training) to 10-12 hours a week. Still a good few kilos to lose though...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts