Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to ask if anyone thinks weight training ( when i say weights im talking 5lb weights) with cardio workout would be beneficial to my running as well.
Im running about 5 times aweek but finding its putting a strain on me so i want to mix my running with something else, and i enjoy jumping about and using light weights. Wanted to know what other sports others do as well as there running hayley

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
You definately need to have some programmed rest breaks in your training programme. Cross training is useful to offset the high impact and repetitive nature of running. Weight training specifically targeted at strengthening muscle groups is beneficial and also some core strengthening work like circuits/pilates/yoga can really help against injury preventation as well as improving stamina.

It depends why you want to exercise so much? What are your goals? For me its about weight loss, fitness, injury prevention and stress management.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well its not weight lose, as im only 8 stone, if anything my weight has gone up a couple of pounds since i increased my running which is funny, not that im bothered because i have more muscle tone now. Its more to do with my interest in exercise and my own fitness, but i like the idea of pilates or yoga so im going to look into it thanks

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
If you've gained muscle tone that will probably explain the weight gain. Over the last 3 yrs I've lost about 3 stone and I've really seen my blood pressure drop but I've only been running for about the last year.

I think I might go to a yoga class this lunchtime - its a bit quiet at work today.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Edwina you seem a knowledgeable person, so while im on the subject, 'does muscle really weigh any more than fat'. Its something iv read different explanations about but interest me. thanks hayley

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I am no expert but I've always been told that as you up your exercise regime that its not unusual for intially for theire to be a small weight gain as fat gets converted to muscle or weight might stay the same but you lose inches. 1lb of fat will weigh the same as 1lb of muscle. I think it depends on how much muscle you have surely and you certainly need to develop muscles for exercise.

My own personal weight loss has been gradual 1lb here and there and some weeks I've gained but my body shape as changed quite dramatically.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that, my body size hasnt changed at all, but im 3 or 4lbs more so it makes sense what you say. It must be all more compact in there!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hi Hayley,

I'm certainly no expert but my brother use to do weightlifting quite a lot and he certainly found that his weight increased as he toned up.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Of course another downside (if you can call it that) is that exercise stimulates your appetite. Have you been feeling any hungrier (and I mean for food)?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No im not a big eater when foods involved, but have a healthy appetite for most other things!!!!!!
I have to make sure i eat enough because i run, but being 5'4 8tone i dont have to worry yet, im quite petite really.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Oh there was this thread on Fetch about running and its impact on your libido.....made me want to stick my fingers in my ears and go lalala

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've done a lot of weight training for over 25 years and i still weigh about the same as I did when I was 18.
Generally speaking, if you eat more and exercise less you'll gain weight. By adding weight training and eating the same it's unlikely that you'll gain weight, in fact, in spite of adding muscle tone you'll probably loose a bit. ( But you all know this anyway.:rolleyes: )

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wounded knee said:
I've done a lot of weight training for over 25 years and i still weigh about the same as I did when I was 18.
Generally speaking, if you eat more and exercise less you'll gain weight. By adding weight training and eating the same it's unlikely that you'll gain weight, in fact, in spite of adding muscle tone you'll probably loose a bit. ( But you all know this anyway.:rolleyes: )

Hi wounded knee can you clarify on the bit about muscle tone and losing weight thanks Hayley

·
Registered
172 Posts
hayley1977 said:
Hi wounded knee can you clarify on the bit about muscle tone and losing weight thanks Hayley
I think so.

Eat more, gain weight. Exercise more, lose weight. So if you're running and your weight stays constant, by increasing exercise, weight training for instance, and eating the same, you will probably loose weight.
Your muscles may become more toned but unless you are eating more to make them grow, they won't.
The biggest myth about weight training is that it makes you bulky but the only way to increase muscle size or any size is to eat more.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My husband is naturally slim 5'11 and weight trains he has a nautilus gym at home and trains 4 times a week. He takes a protein weight gain and creatine as well his weight is now 12 1/2 stone but it sort of stops here and he finds it hard to put more weight on (muscle) so would he then need to eat more and train more. But theres a limit to how much you should do if you still have a life to get on with as well dont you think?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi hayley,

I would stick with your original conclusion that you may have toned up & added a little bit of muscle over time. Monitoring your body fat % is often a better way to judge rather than weight.

Weight training can mean many different things. An exercise with a low weight & high reps would improve endurance in a muscle but add minimal bulk. On the flip side, heavy weights & low reps to fatigue will increase strength and add muscle bulk & increase weight. If a weightlifter does a BMI test for instance, they would often come out as 'Overweight' because of the muscle bulk they are carrying.

Weight training is not of great benefit to running, though core strength is important to prevent injuries and help your posture while running. So Pilates or Yoga would be good for improving this.

Doing other cardio workouts will not do any harm and will give you variety, but will probably not improve your running times much.

If you are feeling 'beat up' it may be that your running your training runs too fast. If more than 2 sessions are 'fast' then I would look to change this.

·
Registered
348 Posts
hayley1977 said:
But theres a limit to how much you should do if you still have a life to get on with as well dont you think?
Couldn't agree more! That's why I'm doing some glass lifting exercise tonight following by some heavy pizza reps!

·
Registered
172 Posts
hayley1977 said:
My husband is naturally slim 5'11 and weight trains he has a nautilus gym at home and trains 4 times a week. He takes a protein weight gain and creatine as well his weight is now 12 1/2 stone but it sort of stops here and he finds it hard to put more weight on (muscle) so would he then need to eat more and train more. But theres a limit to how much you should do if you still have a life to get on with as well dont you think?
Yep, I do!

I've met a lot of body builders over the years and they tend to be obsessive about it.
One thing they all do to increase bulk is eat and eat and eat.

Lazy J is right about the method but even working out to deliberately increase bulk will only work if you eat loads! Did I mention that already?
I don't agree that weight training is no good to runners. Running does not make you strong but you need strength to run, a proper resistance training programme will help to keep you injury free.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts