Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have read a few articles which state that weight training improves strength and stamina which inturn makes you a better runner, does anyone agree with this?

I am thinking of doing some light weights at the local gym, only about 5-25kgs but I am unsure if this is going to help. I am only 42.5kgs and can not lift anything really heavy so I wondered how I could build up any strength at this level.

Was also wondering if anyone think being much smaller is a disadvantage when it comes to runing, I am 5'2" and don't have a wide stride but does my weight compensate for this?

:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
generaly:

Light Weights - Toans Muscle - Increase stamina and endurance of the muscle area your training

Heavy Weights - Muscle Growth - Increases muscle fibers/growth and makes you stronger.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I keep having these momentary lapses where I see sugar and that's it i go all out. I have tried everything from cold turkey, weeking myself off, substituting sugar for fruit and even hypnotherapy. I always fail when it comes to sugar and it is my one weakness but I am trying hard and tomorrow I will behave myself, only probs is that we are going to pub for lunch and beer is calling.

Right I have decided that from tomorrow I must turn over a new leaf.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
My general rule of thumb is this.

For every 10km I run I can have 3 pints without feeling guilty,and believe me nothing tastes better than guilt free beer.

Enjoy your kit- kats and don`t beat yourself up about it.

Some people are far too serious about this fitness lark.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Some people run so they can eat & drink more. Just get the balance and stick to it, rewarding yourself for a good run or time may keep your interest going.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Id say that competitive cycling can make you a better runner for the reason that it requires more power. I know a duathlete who told me when he started cycling he noticed his 10k times improved. It may even be more fun than a laborious weights session in the gym to some people.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts