Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all im new to running
im a hgv driver and dont get a lot of exersize so i started slowly by doing a jog walk- 2 mins
jog 2 mins walk and have been enjoying it so far but a work mate [ who is a regular runner] has told me i am to over weight to run im 6 2" and bout 16 stone a bit plump but not that bad :(

any advice welcome:cool:

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Firstly well done for getting out there and running - welcome to the club!

That must have been sooo just not what you wanted to hear. Runner's come in all shapes and sizes and sure weight can be an issue just don't push yourself by running too quickly - if you find yourself getting breathless slow it right down - you should be able to hold a conversation. Running can also help you lose weight but you need to consider your diet as well - the old calorie intake verses expenditure balance.

As I said well done and keep up the effort and keep posting so we know how you are doing. Have you thought about joining a running club? They cater for all abilities.

If you have any concerns get yourself booked in with your GPs nurse for a health check but as long as you don't push yourself too hard and try not to run more than 3 times a weekyou should be ok

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Someone once told me that 'no fat man ever won the London marathon'.
Good runners are thin,it's a fact! The heavier you are the slower you will run.
Steve Cram was 6'2" and weighed 10stone!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the advice:)
i will try to do as you advized
there is a club near me -the swinton running club
i might just go along there one practise night
:d :d :d :d

·
Registered
231 Posts
6 2" and 16 stone? You're tall. I have often seen people jogging on the road that are shorter than you and more plump. So well done you. The biggest advice is just to listen to your body, and follow its signals. Also, listen to Steady Edwina as her advice is really solid. Keep it up.

Mind you, I'm a beginner meself!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts