Runners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following on from my previous thread, I went on a web hunt for info about how many calories I should be eating a day, I found this website.....but is anyone able to confirm or work out what they think I should be on???

So many say about eating too little or too much (clearly), I just want to be sure.

www runningforfitness.org/calc/weightloss.php - says I should eat 2195 calories to lose 1lb a week.

I am
34yrs old
5ft 6
160lbs
Moderately Active generally also run & gym a few times a week

Thanks all

x

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
A healthy normal diet will be fine combined with the exercise How much do you want to lose?

I don't know how hard or far you intend to run so this advice is pretty general

when you run /exercise more regularly you may find you actually put a little wieght on this is due to muscle however don't worry about this you'll come right you should notice after a while that your clothes fit will alter you'll become more toned and the world will seem a much better place
as for calories around 200 is the general thing for a lady yet may need to be increased depending on what exercise your going to do
sorry to be so eneral but without all the facts it's hard to say

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
My gut tells me (after putting in numbers for myself) that it perhaps suggests too high a calorie intake? It's recommending for me to maintain my current weight that I should be eating 3600kcals a day! I'd be eating non stop surely! lol.

Hmmm... just tried another site, which recommends a lower calorie intake, but still higher than I'd have thought! Oh.... now I need to look into it even more - I'll never get any work done!! lol.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
There loads available if you search for 'recommended calorie intake' on google,

the one Debs used is at www.runningforfitness.org/calc/weightloss.php.

What I personally do is use something that calculates your recommended daily intake based on your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). I work this out stating that I lead a sedentary lifestyle (bear with me), and then I add on the calories I expend from all the exercise I do each day. One such website is http://www.calculator.org/bmr.aspx

I find the "average lifestyle" and "active lifestyle" options to be very vague and don't show you any variation based on the fact that some days you may do a big run and others do no exercise at all.

Interesting fact... (I found this out on one of my many quests for further information) on average, we burn off 10% of the calories in any food we eat through digesting it! (though note - they do tend to allow for this in our recommended daily calorie intake)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all and thank you Richard, have worked out on that website BMR is 1498 calories - eek alot less than other webpage said.

The only thing I would say thou, muscle burns more calories resting than fat does resting, so surely not everyones BMR would be the same even if weight/height are the same. i.e. a Bodybuider, trianed althelete (like myself...LMAO..hahaha)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Sorry if my post was slightly misleading Debs, I meant to use the number they recommend in the paragraph BELOW where it states your BMR, then add your exercising calories on top of that number. e.g. my BMR is 1893, but recommended for a sedentary lifestyle (just getting around the house and basic movement etc) is 2271, I then add calories expended through exercise onto this figure.

BMR I believe is the amount of calories required for total rest... and by definition excludes all normal muscle movement, and even assumes an inactive digestive system - it literally is the minimum number of calories needed to keep your vital organs (lungs, heart, brain etc) functioning properly.

But based on you're comment, a slightly active slob would (you'd imagine) burn less calories then a slightly active body builder with bulging muscles... though with muscle weighing 4x more than fat... if it were the same weight of muscle vs fat, then there'd be 4x more fat (by volume), so perhaps it balances itself out?

Argh! My brain hurts!!!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Mine to :S I've been in the lab since 8am, and I was just about to eat my sandwich... then I started thinking about calories and stuff and now my brain hurts even more :( Eargh... this is why I stay clear of calorie counting and stuff - it's all far too complicated, and everyone has their own ideas - When I first started running and I'd gone to see my doctor (about something else) he used this website to calculate my daily recommended calorie intact at like 2250, before exercise, he did this by measuring things like my wrists, elbows, body fat percentage, blah blah... which must have been wrong seeing as I'm so short... but seeing as I'm not bored I might make my brain hurt some more by looking on those sites.

(p.s. I've given up drinking coffee during the week and today its sooooooo hard :( )

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
almost_no_specifics said:
Mine to :S I've been in the lab since 8am, and I was just about to eat my sandwich... then I started thinking about calories and stuff and now my brain hurts even more :( Eargh... this is why I stay clear of calorie counting and stuff - it's all far too complicated, and everyone has their own ideas - When I first started running and I'd gone to see my doctor (about something else) he used this website to calculate my daily recommended calorie intact at like 2250, before exercise, he did this by measuring things like my wrists, elbows, body fat percentage, blah blah... which must have been wrong seeing as I'm so short... but seeing as I'm not bored I might make my brain hurt some more by looking on those sites.

(p.s. I've given up drinking coffee during the week and today its sooooooo hard :( )
I agree ANS, it's just another instance of over-complicating the act of running. Just get out and do it, as the Nike adverts used to tell us! Far too much time seems to be spent thinking, even worrying about figures for this; rates for that, and numbers for t'other.:rolleyes:

Incidentally ANS, why have you given up the coffee? :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not as easy as that when its what you have been doing and not lost any weight, hence why I am digging further to try and find out why.

·
Registered
707 Posts
pedestrian said:
Incidentally ANS, why have you given up the coffee? :(
Because I was stressed, coffee made my blood boil (literally... as in high blood pressure), and it was making my runs quite a bit more difficult then they should have been... so until the end of april I'm staying clear of coffee... even though we got a new coffee machine in the office... and now that this one actually heats the coffee up I can smell it... it's difficult, but yeah...

I was just reading the other thread about weights and stuff and was thinking "god, am I actually the only one who doesn't weigh myself?" It's not as if I don't have body issues - I used to be crazy overweight... but seriously just don't bloody worry about it and get caught up in the figures - just be sensible and enjoy the running - I am example that it can work without doing plan A, B and X for this and blah blah blah... eargh my head hurts again :( :p Anyway, I understand you're furstrated, honestly I do - after xmas I needed to lose weight, but nothing was happening, but as mentioned in other threads, now that I'm not trying it's just flown off because I'm being really sensible. I still eat chocolate and what not after runs though, so you don't have to be silly and resist everything...

Just give it time :)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
... No weighing scales in my house. Can't remember the last time I was weighed, so haven't a clue as to my weight!:embarrassed:
... Although, not having run much for four months, I don't really wish to find out what I weigh at the moment. :eek:
One thing that puzzled me though, is that when I was forced to stop running through injury, my appetite seemed to increase rather than decrease as expected. I've literally had to force myself to eat a little less at meal times. View attachment 355

·
Registered
707 Posts
That's kind of strange... The only thing I notice about when I do less (in my general life, as in revision time when I was sat in my room for hours on end) is that I get bored and think about food more - and the eat more...

But no, I dont have any in my house either - I occasionally have a look in the gym.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Maybe you're appreciating food for what it is... maybe you're *gasp* changing? :p

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm food!!! Eating tasty food is one of the best feelings in the world - I think it'd kill me if I lost my sense of taste!

Just a shame it requires effort to make a decent meal :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts