Runners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a strange one, wondered if anyone experienced something like this:

Background: Decided to sign up for the Manchester Marathon 2022 about 5 months before it starts, coming from zero training (the couch ><)

I did get gait analysis and neutral shoes pretty much straight away.

I used to be able to run regularly about 8km a time with no problems, so just decided to go for it, I'm an idiot I know. Once I got stuck into training I realised how tough marathon training really is, specifically with injuries. ITB pain flared up one long run session at about the 1hr 15min mark. Then I decided to take my training down to a bit to allow time to recover - 3 days a week instead of 4.

It felt like it was getting better, and the distance or time at which I ran before the pain kicked in was pushed back each long run. The midweek shorter runs never really bothered me, but it's during the long runs that it makes an appearance.

My last couple of long runs have been weird though, I've noticed that the ITB pain kicks in around the 1hr 40 minute mark if I stop, like stop for a minute, or slow to a walk to recover, it will kick in. Before then I feel great, going at a comfortable pace, feeling really good. But if I stop, it really hurts all of a sudden, and I'm limping along while I walk, sometimes not even able to do it. Maybe after this - once 10 minutes have passed, I'm able to pick up running a bit again and the pain gradually goes away until it's barely noticeable - I can feel it slowly getting better the more I run. I've read that speeding up can help, but I just thought it's so strange.

Has anyone else had anything like this? Thank you in advance for the replies. I'm going to try not stopping at all below a light jog on my next run and see how it goes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the video. My last long run I managed to run 11 miles pain free. I used a strap - ITB strap I bought from Amazon but I think my body has just finally healed from the initial injury. Will continue to do strength training regardless. Feeling much more confident and ready for this first marathon - 10 weeks to go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.