Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever experience this:

Occasionly when i've been running I've experienced a sensation in the sole of my foot that feels , what I can only describe as a 'tearing' sensation. It's located in one foot and on the arch. I don't reckon anything is actually 'tearing' but it's a pain that's kind of sharp feels like it's 'inside' my sole. The pain isn't so severe as to stop me and I can usually just run it out.

I've thought it might be simple cramp, but hopefully not indicitive or something worse to come. Hopefully someone can enlighten me and calm my hypochondria.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'm sorry nobody's replied with an answer eatmydust :( I guess the physiological side of running is just one part of running that's very hard to discuss over the internet, particularly with regard to specific issues.

How's it feeling at the moment? Have you tried regular stretching of the area and maybe some self-massage? (i'm not sure if self massage is a known treatment... but if I tend to get aches and pains, my instinct is to rub them :) )

If it doesn't disappear, I'd suggest seeing a physio or podiatrist when you're able as it sounds like the kind of thing that could really discourage you from running regularly :(

·
Registered
119 Posts
sounds like there could be a little too much stress going through that area of your foot, try a bit of massage and stretching as Richard has suggested, if that doesn't cure it then an orthoitc insert may be required, might be worth trying a decent off the peg one ...based in glasgow try tiso or greaves sports although you may have to go to the ski or outdoor departments to get what you need

for massage try rolling a golf ball under your foot [hurts a bit at first but it will get deep into the problem or roll a frozen bolttle of water under the arch, that way you are stretching massaging and icing all that the same time

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi
I have had exactly the same symptom as you. I mentioned it to the very knowledgable guy who did my gait analysis for new running shoes and basically, it is symptomatic of the shoes not giving quite the right support in the arch of your foot. Since changing my shoes from Sauconay Hurricanes to Brooks I have not once had that pain and I used to get it at least once every time I went out. I am sure it is not anything specific to the Hurricanes - they are excellent shoes but I just needed some shoes that gave me slightly different support.
Hope you get it sorted. :d

1 - 5 of 5 Posts