Runners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Only just registered to this, did Liverpool Half marathon yesturday and found it a nightmare to find Sefton Park with my very dodgy aa route finder directions, i regularly look on runnersworld website for local races but if there's any i'm missing out on that arn't advertisd on the web please keep me informed. I especially like the cross country ones like the 10 mile Stourbridge Stagger, i went and did Race the Train in Wales last year as well which is a must, a 14.75 mile run some on sheep tracks!very challenging, plus you race a steam train!
I mainly enter 10km or more races especially if i have to travel, im off to Rome in two weeks to do the Rome marathon so if anyone has done that then again please give me some ideas on how hard the course is etc.
Becky:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Hi Becky

Welcome to the forum :)

I did the Rome marathon in 2005. It is a great event, so many fantastic sights along the route too!

It may be different now but when I did it the start was a bit disorganised and consequently a lot of runners missed the actual start because they were queuing for something or another, so allow more than plenty of time to do everything just in case.

Obviously being an ancient city, a lot of the road surfaces are uneven and cobbled...be prepared for that. I spent a lot of the race concentrating on foot placement so I didn't turn my ankle.

Towards the end of the marathon...if it's still the same route... there is a very long out and back stretch of road, which can test you when you're feeling tired, it seemed to go on forever, you can see everyone ahead of you coming back on the other side of the road but not where the turning back point is. I know other runners found this stretch hard, and I know of one who actually couldn't deal with it and cheated by going across to the other side before the turn around. I don't know if he was ever found out though :confused:

Having said all that, it is a spectacular race with a very nice finish at the Colosseum

Good luck and let us know how you got on :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts