Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a fantastic run tonight, I had been looking forward to it all day. So much so that when I got on the train to go home I didnt fall asleep (like I normally do for the entire 20min train ride!), I got home, changed in to my running gear and off I went.

And there it was, the Letham woods, I usually run around it but today I thought I would go up the path and see where it took me. Well I think I read somewhere that its a 100m climb to the top so I put my best foot forward and up I went, it seemed to go in stages, up a steep bit and then it would level off, up another steep bit, down a steep bit, back up an even steeper bit until you reached the top and boy, what a view of the Firth of Forth......

Don't think I would like to go up in any less light, there were quite a lot of places someone could jump out at you from but the fresh air on the hill made it worth the climb. The desent was much steeper and more direct, straight down! I might try that way the next time to go up. I thought the hills I had ran in the past were hills but they are wee compared with this monster and I loved it :) What a difference, off road, mud tracks and tree branches to dodge and jump over. Brilliant fun, can't wait to go out and try and master it from the other side.

I reckon it would be really nice to run through the woods in the rain, I would just need to watch my footing as it could get quite slippy!

I did have to walk a wee bit of it but that just adds to the challange next time, try and get further up without walking.

I have no idea on what the distance was because mapmyrun doesnt give enough detail to map the route but I was out for 35mins and loved every second of it, I even caught myself smiling while running back to the house.

O.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
It's great to have a good run...lucky old you.

I'm on a 10m route tomorrow...mid section though will be up and down 407 steps and 5 hills/climbs...doubt I'll enjoy it as much as you did tonight!!

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its bad when you already know how many steps and hills you need to climb. I guess you have done the route a couple of times and counted all the stats :)

O.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
It's a race here that takes place here every September..course is 4.75m...and the entry form comes with a "you must be fit" warning!

So it's a pre race warm up tomorrow...however it is a route I do quite often...not always at tempo pace though.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
sounds like you had a great time O. you are very luck to live where you do.

My country park has just been extended which I am thrilled about and on good clear days you can see the London skyline which is cool, but where you are sounds like much more fun.

Have fun on your run Steve ;-)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I just wish there were more woods etc around by me that I can run through... it completely takes your mind off how far you've gone and is one of the most enjoyable runs you can have - I bet the view really was amazing Owain... lucky you!

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will take my camera next time and take some photos :)
Its funny, I have ran round it so often and never realised its on my door step. The good lady is also wanting to walk up through the woods now she knows they are there.

O.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Fun? Mmm doubt it..........too much like hard work and too bloomin hot for that !

you must have done it by now, how did it go?

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I had another great run tonight :)

MapMyRun.com | View 07/15/2008 Route in Fife, United Kingdom - 6.56miles or 10.56km and I managed it in 58mins 25secs :) Well pleased with myself. One part of the run is up a long climb and the last time I did this run I gave up and walked some of it, this time I ran the entire route and boy do I feel good now!!

Hope your run was as good Steve.

I must remember to take my wee camera with me on my runs though, some great pictures to take...

This is the most I have ran in a row, 3 nights in a row now and I feel no pain for doing it.....loving it! :)

O.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
you must have done it by now, how did it go?
It were too damn hot...so I bottled out and just did a short run from sports centre to the start of the Scores route and then back again..about 5.75 miles I reckon. Just ambled round...didn't tempo it due to the heat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts